Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S.L.A. Marshall fact or fraud?

Default A cautionary tale perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Wow! I can only agree. Liddell-Hart was especially prone to plagiarism, fraud, and the altering of facts to fit his thesis. Regardless of this he still has a strong following amongst US military thinkers.

Fuller at least had some genuinely original ideas and useful insights, but they were not as many as commonly supposed.
    ...for the current crop of "spotlight theorists" at CNAS?
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Thumbs up Heh. I can indemnify with that...

Yes, I can. Spot on, Mon Colonel..

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Amen brother Bob.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Amen brother Bob.
    It is reassuring that I am not alone in my misgivings.

Council Member

COL Jones,

May I have permission to use that catchphrase? I am currently at SAMS and would like to tuck that brilliant insight into my intellectual kit bag for further use.

Regards
    Ski
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

I always thought Marshall's stuff was far too sweeping, and that it flew in the face of many oral history accounts of actions (not just from World War II or Korea, either). It's good to see that his 'findings' are being questioned again.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    I always thought Marshall's stuff was far too sweeping, and that it flew in the face of many oral history accounts of actions (not just from World War II or Korea, either). It's good to see that his 'findings' are being questioned again.
    Well, I for one thing Marshall actually did substantial harm. He offered data free opinions and expected not to be questioned or held to rigour. Ignoring 99% of what Marshall ever wrote does not impede anyone's understanding.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Well, I for one thing Marshall actually did substantial harm. He offered data free opinions and expected not to be questioned or held to rigour. Ignoring 99% of what Marshall ever wrote does not impede anyone's understanding.
    I agree.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default I shared a dinner table with Marshall in the early 60s.

In a two hour plus meeting, he reeked of phoniness to the extent of being annoying -- how the Army and his Newspaper missed that over many years, I have no idea...

Default JMH article and Roger Spiller on Marshall

My recollection of the Journal of Military History article mentioned above on SLAM was that SLAM happened to be helpful due to what the Army changed about its small unit tactics in Vietnam based on his WWII book and "interviews". Basically, he happened to be right, but for the wrong reasons.

Nevertheless, Roger Spiller, former CGSC prof wrote the RUSI article that I believe first outed SLAM's phoniness and the lack of evidence. To quote Roger, a historian I greatly respect and admire, "I have no use for the man."

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    My recollection of the Journal of Military History article mentioned above on SLAM was that SLAM happened to be helpful due to what the Army changed about its small unit tactics in Vietnam based on his WWII book and "interviews". Basically, he happened to be right, but for the wrong reasons.
    I have a copy of Marshall's "Ambush and Bird" written in 1969. It's a basically a "Vietnam battle narrative" written for entertainment.

Now, if someone actually applied Marshall's alleged methods of research, there might be something gained.
    Nevertheless, Roger Spiller, former CGSC prof wrote the RUSI article that I believe first outed SLAM's phoniness and the lack of evidence. To quote Roger, a historian I greatly respect and admire, "I have no use for the man."
    Could not say it better. If you see Roger Spiller anytime in the near future, tell him I am a fan.

Hack's assessment rang fairly true in "About Face," but it was also clear that Hack didn't like/respect the guy and that rang through as well. So I always took it with a grain of salt. Never learned any great insights from those books I read. He tried to mix Ernie Pyle's "man of the soldiers" approach with one of also being a sage on military operations, and it never really worked IMO. I do have an original copy of Ernie's first book that I always enjoy breezing through.

As to my "Spotlight Theorists" phrase, feel free to use, so long as you can do so in the manner it was intended. Good people at CNAS, but when enough people keep telling you your s*%t doesn't stink, you can start to believe it. I think it is time to hold people to a stricter scrutiny.

I just flash to a conversation I had with the State-CT rep at the Embassy in Kuala Lumpur. The best I could tell his entire knowledge of COIN was contained in the two Kilcullen articles he kept waving in my face, quoting them like the holy scripture. They have a level of influence that is as dangerous as it is important, and need to be sure to remember that no one has a corner on "right" in this business.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)