Thread: 25 April - ANZAC Commemoration Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ANZAC Day

Another moving ceremony for ANZAC Day at Fort Leavenworth:

http://usacac.leavenworth.army.mil/B...-april-25.aspx

Default Remembered in the UK too

ANZAC Day is marked here too and last year I attended a ceremony at Cannock Chase CWGC cemetery - where a number of the fallen are buried, who died in UK hospital IIRC. Aside from the British Legion standards I noted every mayor in Staffordshire was there.

Details for this year can be found on: http://www.gallipoli-association.org/default.asp

davidbfpo

PS. The cemetery also has a German section, as WW2 graves were consolidated in the 1950's.

Was at the Pentagon all week, and the main hall on the inner ring as you come in from the metro there was a great display to the ANZUS relationship. Arguably our strongest ally, and certainly the populace we have the most in common with.

Hell, if it wasn't for us giving the Poms the finger and thereby forcing them to find a new continent to dump their riffraff on, Australia would still just be a twinkle in England's eye! Here's to a couple of countries made up of another's castoffs that has done alright for itself! I caught an Anzac day in Sydney myself, and it was a great experience. The Aussies have never walked away from a friend in need, and have paid a hard price for that loyalty. Glad we're on the same team.

I'll never fully understand why you all have Bundy and Coke on tap everywhere, but I lift a 4X Gold to my Aussie mates!
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-26-2009 at 07:40 AM.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Default Damn Bundy Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    I'll never fully understand why you all have Bundy and Coke on tap everywhere
    And on mornings like this morning I can never fully understand why I contributed to a mission in finding them all

First ANZAC Day in Canberra for quite a while. Dismal weather made it pretty subdued as it wasn't really conducive to standing around in the beer garden with mates.

Pretty poignant one this year as we commemorated the old and unfortunately quite a few new ANZAC heroes. The blokes and girls all participated in services OS as well. From experience the most moving ANZAC Day ever is one that you're holding while deployed. Great range of ANZAC Day service pics from the ops and around the world here

http://www.defence.gov.au/anzacday2009/gallery.htm

Default 'Cause it's a terrible job, hard yakka and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    And on mornings like this morning I can never fully understand why I contributed to a mission in finding them all
    but someone has to do it -- You're always giving...

Thanks for the link.

Good on yer, Mates...

Default Ten Pound Poms

Just for the record the post-WW2 emigration from the UK to Australia was significant, with over a million leaving; see: http://open2.net/timewatch/2008/tenpoundpoms.html

This item is from the excellent BBC TV series Timewatch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/timewatch , which did a programme in 2003 reviewing the Gallipoli campaign, alas not readily found on the net; it featured the developments between landings with the first proper landing craft and the evacuation.

davidbfpo

Glad to hear Leavenworth had another great ANZAC ceremony. I played the pipes there last year and it was a very moving event.
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet withstanding, go out to meet it."

-Thucydides

The somewhat misty seventy-first dawn parade at the Auckland Memorial Museum started the most beautiful Anzac weather I can remember. For the first time an Ozzie flag went up alongside the Kiwi flag and the Ozzie anthem was sung as well. The turnouts have been increasing steadily over the last ten or so years with many kids wearing their granddad’s and great granddad’s medals.

The mist prohibited a Herc from doing a fly-by and appears to have prohibited a Huey from staying in the air. Not a good start for the RNZAF.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD