Somewhat related:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...lion-statistic

Joseph Stalin is reputed to have said that the death of one person is a tragedy; the death of one million is a statistic. And Mother Teresa once said, "If I look at the mass I will never act." When Stalin and Mother Teresa agree on a point, I sit up and pay attention. It turns out that the human tendency to turn away from mass suffering is well documented. Deborah Small and Paul Slovic have termed this phenomenon the collapse of compassion. It's not simply that as the number of victims goes up, people's sympathy levels off. No, when the numbers go up, the amount of sympathy people feel goes perversely down. And with it goes the willingness to donate money or time to help.
To David's point, the West donates money to NGOs to assist those less fortunate in their own countries and around the world, and most advanced Western countries have their version of USAID that provides assistance to those less fortunate (often tied to advancing national interests). However, to the Major's point due we care about the deaths of innocent victims in the wars we're waging the question, I think that is a different question than our willingness to provide aid to the less fortunate around the world. It just so happens that our current wars are against non-Caucasians, but in my view that is an unfair accusation. First off our countries have diverse populations, and second we had no problems killing tens of thousands of German civilians during WWII. Something about the war on terror seems different though, and I can't quite put my finger on it.