Thread: The Helmand Province (merged thread, not UK or USMC)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by tulanealum View Post
    Tom,

I don't think this is about going head to head...I think it's about trying to demonstrate that no place in the south is safe and to convince the population that the government can't protect them...I highlighted this because these attacks are occuring for a reason...not sure what it is, but it has been some time since a provincial capital has been attacked...and repeatedly...

If the attacks undermine the populations already low opinion of the GOA, then they are successful...and let's face it, the insurgency has more control in Helmand than the GOA does...

But, we'll see...

I would say we are in agreement. 2 attacks on the ANA serve as a real manifestation of a shadow government. I never worried about "mad mullahs"; I do worry about smart ones

Tom

Default BBC reporting

Thought since the UK is the 'lead' nation in Helmand Province, this BBC News story might help: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7671118.stm
    and this one from a different angle: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7674435.stm

Note the mention of an Afghan policeman shooting an US soldier, in Paktia Province.

Cannot find reports elsewhere, partly as other news dominates.

davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Bermel District

I haven't seen much detail on the recent story about the Afghan police member shooting at and killing an American soldier. I can attest to the fact that engagements between Afghan police and American forces (in many conditions, both day and night) in the Bermel District are not unommon.

The Afghan police in Paktika (part of RC East), and in Bermel specifically have been "infiltrated," as another story suggests, for many years. COL Pete Johnson, a man I have served with and respect enormously, must be trying to handle a delicate situation with the ANP by being diplomatic.

Here's a link to the 30 September attack from the LA Times -

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1343024.story

Here's a link to the 15 October attack from CBC News in Canada -

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/1...ussoldier.html

Council Member

The Taliban tried going "head to head" with the non-afghan coalition in 06 & 07 and suffered heavy casualties whenever they tried to mass. Since then they've switched tactics to focus on the ANA. They've had more success there because air support to the ANA is slower and they aren't as proficient as western forces. There's some debate as to the Taliban (Quetta Shura) strategy: Either a concerted effort to take and hold terrain (ie. Musa Qala) or simply to show the ineffectiveness and, by extension, illegitimacy of the central government and coalition. It's probably both, depending on the situation.