Thread: Key US Army Ranks Begin to Thin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by sullygoarmy View Post
    I suspect there are very few mid-level guys getting out because they couldn't wear their very own "second chance" body armor.
    I suspect you are correct but am reminded of a quote from Patton:
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
    It is one thing to send me on a mission and tell me what you want me to do, where you want me to go, who you want me to talk with and what you want me to tell them. No problem, Sergeant up. Tell me exactly how you want me to do all these things and then make me EXTREMELY physically uncomfortable while I am doing so and I will at the very least not perform as well and at worst will balk.

The armor isn't the issue but it does not help one bit. I spent over $3,000 on gear for my platoon, my team and my person. Almost every penny of it went to good use and the bulk of the gear I bought made me safer, more effective and more comfortable. In essence it made me a "better Marine" (dangerous ground here... hear me out...) or more accurately helped me perform my tasks easier because I was able to be MORE of me MORE often.

I don't think anyone is getting out because they can't wear their Dragonskin but I do think a large number are getting out because they are being asked to fight blind, (crappy eye pro) chafed, overheated and overloaded (50lb body armor that is made from the equivalent of polyester and sandpaper). I know there is a time to suck it up and am fully aware that I am complaining about being "uncomfortable" but seriously when your only hopes for the week are dodging IED's and sniper rounds what else do we have besides comfort? Lower enlisted guys are like babies... when they start crying there is usually a reason that can be solved by either checking their diapers, filling their bellies, putting them to bed or letting them cry it out. This one instance where I would listen to their cries and check their pants, their complaints may be based off of "substance."
    Last edited by Ender; 05-03-2007 at 04:16 AM.