Thread: US Military -v- Internal blogging & Access to WWW

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OPSEC, the OOBs and the Myopic Mis-Focus of Security Personnel

D. J. Elliott at The Fourth Rail Blog - OPSEC, the OOBs and the Myopic Mis-Focus of Security Personnel.

Most people do not realize that Chris and I were bouncing Order of Battle [OOB] data between each other for a year before the OOBs were finally published. I started my collection of data as a hobby to see just what the real status of the Iraqi Security Forces was since the published press reports were far off base and contradictory in their own stories. My principle motivations for my involvement in publishing these OOBs are somewhat contradictory. First, I wanted to get the principle operational security [OPSEC] violators to tighten their OPSEC. Second, I want to further an understanding of the development of the Iraqi Security Forces and the Baghdad Security Plan. As a retired intelligence analyst, I could not believe that the Public Affairs Officers [PAOs] and Commanders were releasing this much operational data in a time of war...

Thumbs up Don't Miss The Email Traffic In The Comments

between the AF MSgt Combat Camera Videographer and IS1 (SW), Elliott, USN (Ret).

Now maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but it looks to me like the OPSEC-side of the IO house's attempt to shut down the only effective counter propaganda the domestic target audience gets has turned into a major exercise in small ruminant breeding, calling into question the whole idea of lumping the disparate components of IO together in the first place.