Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the great generals?

Hannibal Huh? Hannibal the idiot? This was a man who could not stop Rome generating armies and, like Napoleon, lost because he did not understand the political nature of his endeavour.
    Idiot's a bit strong.

Hannibal had to conduct an economy of force mission inside Italy. He never had enough forces to secure his local Latin allies against Rome's superior manpower. The Latin cities, chiefly Tarentum and Capua, that he did split off could not survive without Hannibal to protect them.

If Carthage had managed to reinforce Hannibal with enough forces (say, if Hasdrubal had won at Metaurus) to either besiege Rome and force a battle or secure enough Latin allies to create a bulwark in Italy against Rome, he very likely could have forced Rome to a peace.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Idiot's a bit strong.
    Yes it is, but I get really sick of folks saying how Hannibal was a great general. That belief shows we do no teach strategy. The history channel recently had a whole bunch of old soldiers saying how great Hannibal was... - and does no one read books anymore?
    Yes he could win battles, but he never put those wins to a coherent purpose. He never connected tactical victory with strategic aim.

Hannibal had to conduct an economy of force mission inside Italy. He never had enough forces to secure his local Latin allies against Rome's superior manpower. The Latin cities, chiefly Tarentum and Capua, that he did split off could not survive without Hannibal to protect them.

If Carthage had managed to reinforce Hannibal with enough forces (say, if Hasdrubal had won at Metaurus) to either besiege Rome and force a battle or secure enough Latin allies to create a bulwark in Italy against Rome, he very likely could have forced Rome to a peace.
    Rome and the Senate was what allowed the Romans to raise armies. If you don't take Rome, you cannot win. I would further suggest that merely besieging Rome might have got him what he wanted, but he never seems to have even tried.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Yes it is, but I get really sick of folks saying how Hannibal was a great general. That belief shows we do no teach strategy. The history channel recently had a whole bunch of old soldiers saying how great Hannibal was... - and does no one read books anymore?
    Yes he could win battles, but he never put those wins to a coherent purpose. He never connected tactical victory with strategic aim.

Rome and the Senate was what allowed the Romans to raise armies. If you don't take Rome, you cannot win. I would further suggest that merely besieging Rome might have got him what he wanted, but he never seems to have even tried.
    Wilf,

Your comments on the previous generals is interesting. Rereading through your reasoning, should one expand the definition of a great general to include:

1. Good tactical prowess.
    2. Understanding strategy.
    3. Understanding the Enemy's Center of Gravity.
    4. Political influence to raise the people, guns, and money needed to accomplish one's campaign.

Mike

I would further suggest that merely besieging Rome might have got him what he wanted, but he never seems to have even tried.
    He laid siege to Rome in 211 BC as part of an attempt to relieve the Roman attack on Capua. The Romans knew, however, that his forces were not sufficient to launch an assault on the city defenses nor to launch a blockade, and they didn't panic nor did they withdraw from Capua.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    He laid siege to Rome in 211 BC as part of an attempt to relieve the Roman attack on Capua. The Romans knew, however, that his forces were not sufficient to launch an assault on the city defenses nor to launch a blockade, and they didn't panic nor did they withdraw from Capua.
    OK news to me. I thought he only ever marched towards Rome in a fairly desperate attempt to draw the Romans of Capua - and why didn't he do it before??
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    1. Good tactical prowess.
    2. Understanding strategy.
    3. Understanding the Enemy's Center of Gravity.
    4. Political influence to raise the people, guns, and money needed to accomplish one's campaign.
    Ideally, but it should really be an overall understanding of what he is being asked to do and how he is going to do it.
    So some of my favourites are,
    • Wellington
    • Bill Slim
    • William T. Sherman
    • John Monash
    • Edmund Allenby

...guys who quietly and methodically did what they were told to do.

Well, it wasn't much of a siege, more like a forlorn hope that the Romans would panic and withdraw from the Capuan siege to offer open battle. The Romans knew that Hannibal didn't have the forces for a genuine siege that would inflict pain on the city, much less an assault, so they just proceeded to take Capua.

Likely the reason he didn't do it before was he knew it wouldn't work, but he had to try something to save his Capuan allies. Depending on blind Roman aggression had worked for him before, after all. But he'd taught these Romans caution too well, which is a lot more than you can say for most Roman enemies.

Logistics-wise Hannibal was an invader who turned into an insurgency leader.
    He was quite adept at politics, in a tough environment.

I am ready to believe that he didn't have the means to come to a victory.

His campaign costed little if anything to his country, though - so it would have been imprudent to accept defeat and suffer the consequences earlier.

My focus when judging him was that his great battle successes depended on careless enemy leadership, which de-values those successes. Many generals in history would have achieved as much if not more against equally careless opposition.
    A similar argument can be made about the German successes in WW2.

Council Member

...guys who quietly and methodically did what they were told to do.
    Thomas Jonathan Jackson?
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Top five for me:

Marius

Caesar

Puller

Lee

Patraeus

Quote Originally Posted by j earl View Post
    Patraeus
    Care to offer evidence? How does Patraeus make a list devoid of Patton and Zukhov - or even Templer?

Top five for me:

Marius

Caesar

Puller

Lee

Patraeus
    Three Americans (USA: less than a quarter century in existence) in an all-time global top five list? This sounds biased.

In fact I doubt four on your list very much; only G.J. Caesar is a top 20 candidate.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    (USA: less than a quarter century in existence)
    Did you mean to say less than a quarter millenium?
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Yes, of course. #### happens...

Lee
    Lee lost and his land was turned into a cemetary. What would Giap or Mao think about Lee?

Council Member

Default Y'all

can't tell a Southroner nuthin bad bout Marse Robert!

cheers

JohnT

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    Y'allcan't tell a Southroner nuthin bad bout Marse Robert!

cheers

JohnT
    I'm very glad that none of my family visits this site. They already think that I was brainwashed from being out in California too long. Maybe I shouldn't have told them that I disavowed the Republican party, the Southern Baptist Convention, and I no longer like watching cars go around in circles. If they find out what I just said about Robert, an intervention will definitely be happening soon.

• Wellington
    • Bill Slim
    • William T. Sherman
    • John Monash
    • Edmund Allenby
    Every single one of them spoke English, and three out five from the UK and Ireland. Four out of five served in the last century. This list seems to be rather biased

All in all I do rate Hannibal still highly. Knowing well the context and the circumstances it is difficult to lay much blame at his doorstep.

Firn

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    In fact I doubt four on your list very much; only G.J. Caesar is a top 20 candidate.
    Oh, I would put Marius as a contender for the top 20 .
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Defense:

Marius: reformed Roman army, elected Consul 7 times, defeated Teutones and Cimbri, saved Rome.

Lee: I have to mention him or I will be struck by lightning: D. He did happen, with limited resources, to win a series of battles against superior forces and in the end he was smart enough to reconcile. Not sure I understand the reference to Giap. Giap, to my knowledge, never decisively defeated the Americans in a single battle. Dien Bien Phu was a French blunder more so than a brilliant victory by Giap.

Petraeus: Petraeus inherited a lost cause in what has to be one of the most complex civil wars in history and implemented COIN operations that drastically reduced casualties and violence. All this while public support was on the decline and in the face of a hostile government.