Quote Originally Posted by Smitten Eagle View Post

So, to the running list of great generals I would add...

Sam Damon (of Once an Eagle fame)

Also,
Epaminondas,
Henry V
I remember hearing so much about Sam Damon and Once an Eagle, and I thought, "Isn't it a bit dangerous for an entire profession to be trying to base themselves on a character who never existed, and, in many ways, never could?"

Then I read it and realized what the fuss was all about. Heartily agree to put "Sad Sam" up at the top of the list.

As far as Epaminondas, did you read Victor Davis Hanson's Soul of Battle? Marvelous book about Epaminondas, Sherman, and Patton.

I feel like commanders need to be divided into groups. Great tacticians, great strategists, and great cases of leadership. I put the least weight on tacticians, because the other two are far rarer. Also there were many excellent tacticians who were not generals.

Tacticians:
Patton, Lee, Jackson, Rommel, von Manstein, Spruance, Caesar, Scipio, Alexander

Strategists:
George C. Marshall (as Rob mentioned, both an officer and a citizen of the highest caliber. America is lucky to have had him), Nimitz, Sherman, Napoleon, Mahmet (Turk who conquered Constantinople)

Leaders:
Ridgway (Korea and the 8th Army still IMO the best example of the impact one leader can have on a war in history), Farragut, George Thomas, Gustavus Adolphus, Epaminondas

Of course there are many, many others. I feel it will take the judgment of history to categorize today's generals, but Zinni, Mattis, Petraeus, and McKiernan seem the best of the last few years. Many of you would know better than I, however.

Matt