Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Who are the great generals?

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Regular British officers serving in the First and Second World Wars would have studied Lee and Jackson's campaigns at staff college, which became part of the curriculum when Colonel Henderson was a staff college instructor.
    Pre- WW1 Regular Officers alone would have studied Lee and Jackson because Hamley's Operations of War (6 editions between 1867-1909) was the required Staff Collage text prior to 1898.I strongly suspect Henderson would have taught using Hamley's text.

BTW, I have the 1909 edition. It makes current US/UK writing on campaign planning and operations, look like a child's finger painting in comparison.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Another tempest in a teapot -

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A fight is brewing in Mississippi over a proposal to issue specialty license plates honoring Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, who was an early leader of the Ku Klux Klan.
    The Mississippi Division of Sons of Confederate Veterans wants to sponsor a series of state-issued license plates to mark the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, which it calls the "War Between the States." The group proposes a different design each year between now and 2015, with Forrest slated for 2014.
    Specifically,

Johnson, with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said he's not bothered by Civil War commemorative license plates generally. But he said Mississippi shouldn't honor Forrest, who was an early leader of what he calls "a terrorist group."
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20110210/D9L9TRQG0.html
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

That bit about Forrest is old and has been well-known for a long time. Twenty or so years ago some in Memphis wanted to have a statue of Forrest in a park in the city removed. At around the same time there was a push to remove the Confederate statue on Washington Street in Alexandria, Virginia after a drunk driver knocked it off its pedestal. A Virginia law from about 1900 states it shall remain there forever and that was the end of that. The war happened and rooting out its visible reminders won't do anything to alter that fact.