Glad to get a rise out of someone. Yes, LeMay's time as Chief of Staff was near to a disaster when it comes to the Cuban missile crises. But his organization and leadership was key in Europe and Asia during WWII and his re-org of SAC into a premier organization (that never would have allowed the recent mess up with nukes from ND to LA with ....what? They were here a moment ago!!... to happen) was fundamentally sound and ahead. And for Doolittle, the raid is impressive, but not the best thing he did. When he got to England in early '44 he refocused the effort on bombing German fighter factories, which depleted their number, allowing for command of the skies by June of 44. Had he not done that, well, who knows?

I like Hap Arnold a lot, but his focus on strat bombing over other things diminishes him in my eyes somewhat. Furthermore, he seemed to be impressed with the British area bombing and by '45 want the USAAF to do more of that?! Le May and even more, Doolittle, modulated to what worked, not maintained the strat bombing party line.

I've a friend whose working title for his diss is "10 or 20 million dead,....depending on the breaks" That should win an award for best titled PhD don't you think? Homage to old Buck....