Thread: Information Operating Environment & Popular culture

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Information Operating Environment & Popular culture

Marc - I think you may be a better lead for this then me

Is the popular culture ahead of military culture when it comes to Information Operations? Why would that be? What would be the cause and effect?

I point to several other current threads as examples, but let me throw a couple of other referneces?

Is Online Dating an Information Operation? Who primarily uses it? Why would we find it likely that conservative personalities would have reservations about online services?

How about the advent of Unity08.com? I saw it on C-Span and checked it out - It has the potential to evolve the political process through participation and the perception of participation.

Consider the soft/indirect power that CoPs have? How many westerners understand soft/indirect influence?

Look at pod casts, HD TV ( I love this one because you see warts and all which I posit sublinally influences how you receive the information), Sattelite & HD radio, Cell phones (not you Nextel Motorolas - but the Internet Camera phone types, online gaming, etc.

Consider the use of Pseudonyms and symbol images - the name and photo/avatar of a blogger both influences how the audience receives the information , but also how the writer writes - a freedom comes with anonymity, while caution may accompany use of real names and photos.

Consider how an email (or posted document) reviewed for conciseness and clarity vs. being error prone can improve or taint the message?

It may be that the popular culture at large is in a better position to understand this then the more conservative aspects of our citizenry who are also charged with safeguarding our freedoms - it may be why we are more comfortable with the kinetic equations which demonstratably move things in a direction.
    Last edited by Rob Thornton; 05-03-2007 at 01:33 PM.