Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
Didn't China just execute its former head of their version of the FDA. They may have the buying power in a year 2000 economy, may have the Olympics, may be spending like crazy on their military, but they have a 1950s style government, and have modernized so fast they are bound to have growing pains they have not begun to contemplate. Which I think is what makes them dangerous - ever see ole Bruce Banner turn into the Hulk - not the grey smart one, but the emotional green one?

I'd have to agree with Goesh, there is vast unrealized potential in the United States, and I think we have a better sense of ourselves then any other state with like potential. We live in a truly amazing country where hope and possibility abound.

I was refering to the notion of American "Empire" or "Imperialism" and adventures outside America's borders that the article was about.

In no way do I think that China is becoming the new "Empire," I'm just saying that it's going to be harder to have hegemony over regions in the world as we have had for the past 60+ years. More and more countries are becoming part of the global economic system with or without the US.