Thread: Amu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

J-Man, taking RQ295 now. It's a required course for all who are starting out in any BA program. I only started off with one class because I wanted to see how I'd do. Proficiency in Writing and Math begins in August.
    I'll do about 16 hours average/week schoolwork. (that might be overkill, but I'm maintaining a 95 average) Depends on the assignments. Most of my courses are 8 weeks, some (like this Math and Writing) are 16.

If you do enroll, contact Dr. Berry (the Intel Studies Dept head). He's been very helpful and answers all my questions. Also, check out the student lounge discussion board. Lot's of useful Q&A over there.

If you decide to this (especially if you're going to major in Intelligence) let me know. Are you thinking of a BA or going to Graduate school?

Council Member

J

I take two classes per semester. I spend about 90 minutes every other day reading (but I read very quickly) and then I spend about 4-5 hours writing and then proofreading a paper.
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    J

I take two classes per semester. I spend about 90 minutes every other day reading (but I read very quickly) and then I spend about 4-5 hours writing and then proofreading a paper.
    Do you have to complete a thesis as part of your program?

Council Member

I wouldn't call it a thesis, but there is a "final" class that needs to be taken. I'm still halfway from that point, so I haven't really looked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Man View Post
    Do you have to complete a thesis as part of your program?
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

Default J-Man

I'm in a master's program at AMU (National Security) and my program does not have a thesis. If you prefer a thesis, many programs have that option; you simply substitute the thesis for an elective course. In place of a thesis, my program has a final exam. Unfortunately, I have no information on that as I am only about half way through the program.

The papers due at the end of the courses I have taken generally range from 12-16 pages, certainly not in the neighborhood of a thesis. However, nearly all of my assignments have involved writing so be prepared.

Ski is absolutely correct. Expect alot of reading. I have also not had a test yet. Good Luck!
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Default Not a thesis, but a comprehensive exam

When I completed the Master Strat Intel (w/honors) course in '05, the comp consisted of two essay questions picked from a list of five (I think), in an eight hour, proctored sitting (I was able to arrange to do it in two four hour blocks on consecutive days, due to issues with the proctors). I studied by drafting out answers to all five questions repeatedly.

Hard, but fair. After the nightmare stories I've heard about thesis advisors etc, I'm glad I went the comp route.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    When I completed the Master Strat Intel (w/honors) course in '05, the comp consisted of two essay questions picked from a list of five (I think), in an eight hour, proctored sitting (I was able to arrange to do it in two four hour blocks on consecutive days, due to issues with the proctors). I studied by drafting out answers to all five questions repeatedly.

Hard, but fair. After the nightmare stories I've heard about thesis advisors etc, I'm glad I went the comp route.
    Hi, Van. You completed the Master's in Strategic Intel program? That's one of the programs I'm looking at. Do you mind if I ask you some specific questions on it?

1. How long did it take you to complete it? And how many courses did you take at a time?

2. How many hours per week of schoolwork time would you say were needed for each course?

3. Did your courses in this program involve both tests and papers?

4. What concentration did you pick? (intelligence collection, analysis, operations, terrorism, etc)

5. Have you used this program to actually get a job in the intelligence field?

Thanks!

P.S. I've heard horror stories about Thesis advisors too!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by LawVol View Post
    I'm in a master's program at AMU (National Security) and my program does not have a thesis. If you prefer a thesis, many programs have that option; you simply substitute the thesis for an elective course. In place of a thesis, my program has a final exam. Unfortunately, I have no information on that as I am only about half way through the program.

The papers due at the end of the courses I have taken generally range from 12-16 pages, certainly not in the neighborhood of a thesis. However, nearly all of my assignments have involved writing so be prepared.

Ski is absolutely correct. Expect alot of reading. I have also not had a test yet. Good Luck!
    I don't understand why most programs don't make the thesis an option. Honestly, in many cases, a thesis can end up delaying someone from even graduating from their program in a timely manner. I look at a thesis as being most useful for someone wanting to make a career in academia. But for everyone else, some kind of comprehensive exam would make more sense.

Thanks for your response.

LawVol, I'm just wondering, what will you be using your Master's in National Security for? Are you completing this program to enhance your own educational level in an area of interest? Or will you be using what you've learned to get another job? Are you an attorney?
    Last edited by J-Man; 07-24-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Man View Post
    I don't understand why most programs don't make the thesis an option. Honestly, in many cases, a thesis can end up delaying someone from even graduating from their program in a timely manner. I look at a thesis as being most useful for someone wanting to make a career in academia. But for everyone else, some kind of comprehensive exam would make more sense.

Thanks for your response.

LawVol, I'm just wondering, what will you be using your Master's in National Security for? Are you completing this program to enhance your own educational level in an area of interest? Or will you be using what you've learned to get another job? Are you an attorney?
    I am pursuing the degree because it is an area of interest. I do not forsee working in this area when I leave the USAF. As an attorney, I will most likely move on to a law firm or a defense contractor.
    -john bellflower

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Quote Originally Posted by LawVol View Post

Hello LawVol,

I recently enrolled into the National Security Master program at APU (July 2008), can you provide me with any insight as to pros/cons, preferred instructors, etc?

What is your opinion of the National Security major as a whole so far? I would like to complete the program in one year, is that possible while working full-time?

I'm an Investigator (former Fed), and was thinking of returning to the Fed Gov't in some sort of security-related occupation so I'm hoping this degree might help, plus I'm very interested in the curriculum.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.........

Council Member

I'm now 75% complete. Three more classes and a comprehensive exam to follow. Next class starts in September, then I'll crank two out in the first quarter of 09, and then take the exam in APR/MAY 09 and wrap this thing up.

Also at CGSC now, so I decided to slow it down towards the finish so I can get the schoolwork here done above standard...

Default NSS at AMU

Quote Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
    Hello LawVol,

I recently enrolled into the National Security Master program at APU (July 2008), can you provide me with any insight as to pros/cons, preferred instructors, etc?

What is your opinion of the National Security major as a whole so far? I would like to complete the program in one year, is that possible while working full-time?

I'm an Investigator (former Fed), and was thinking of returning to the Fed Gov't in some sort of security-related occupation so I'm hoping this degree might help, plus I'm very interested in the curriculum.

I took NS500 w/BG Mangum and RC508 (research for Intel studies) with Dr. Keithly. NS500 is quite a bit of reading and some pretty lengthly papers due at the end of the week, but not difficult. I found Dr. Keithly's research class to be pretty challenging and he was pretty tough academically, but a really nice guy and very fair. I would recommend either. Right now, I'm in NS503 with Dr. James, another good course; more reading but less writing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

LawVol-- what course are you taking for NSS right now, and what is your area of concentration?
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
    Hello LawVol,

Shammy,

I'm exactly half way through a master's degree in NSS and have had no issues with any of my instructors. That said, Wray Johnson and Steven Greer were particularly instructive in the sense that they offered much substantive criticism and perspective in response to my completed assigments. I felt that they brought much more to the table than simply an academic perspective. You can review their biographies to see why.

I am satisfied with AMU thus far because it has met my objectives. I was looking for something more practical than theoretical and I think this fits the bill. My field is the law so my plan was not to use this degree toward some new profession but rather to enhance my own. I simply wanted a course of instruction that provided me with a big picture view of national security so I could better understand current events and the like.

Completing the program within a year may be a little difficult unless you can pursue it full time. Each of my classes have been fairly labor intensive. There has been quite a bit of reading (almost on par with law school as far as volume goes) and most assignments involve writing. I have taken only one class at a time since I've been enrolled. I am currently on program hold while I pursue an in residence LL.M program over the next year so I won't be able to update you with regard to other professors.

Overall, I'm happy with AMU given my goals. However, if I was entering (or seeking to enhance) a new career I'd probably look to a more traditional school. Good luck.
    -john bellflower

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    I wouldn't call it a thesis, but there is a "final" class that needs to be taken. I'm still halfway from that point, so I haven't really looked into it.
    Thanks, understood.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    J-Man, taking RQ295 now. It's a required course for all who are starting out in any BA program. I only started off with one class because I wanted to see how I'd do. Proficiency in Writing and Math begins in August.
    I'll do about 16 hours average/week schoolwork. (that might be overkill, but I'm maintaining a 95 average) Depends on the assignments. Most of my courses are 8 weeks, some (like this Math and Writing) are 16.

If you do enroll, contact Dr. Berry (the Intel Studies Dept head). He's been very helpful and answers all my questions. Also, check out the student lounge discussion board. Lot's of useful Q&A over there.

If you decide to this (especially if you're going to major in Intelligence) let me know. Are you thinking of a BA or going to Graduate school?
    Skiguy, I think you're smart to start out with one course. As time goes on and you get more used to school you'll not only be able to handle a bigger workload (if you want), but you'll become more efficient. It sure sounds like you're doing well though.

Thanks for that tip about Dr. Berry. I'm looking at some different options right now, and AMU is one of them. I already have a BA degree. So if I did enroll, I would probably go the Master's degree route.