Thread: Amu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I'm taking a break after getting through about 1/2 of an AMU masters. My feelings on the program are mixed. Although I've learned a lot, almost all of it has come from simply reading the course material. The program therefore has the feel of a degree factory - simply do some work and you will be rewarded with a career-enhancing degree. To give you an example, I logged in on the last day of class to upload my final paper to discover the professor had already given me an A for the course, even though the final paper was 50% of the grade. I got the paper back the next day and the only comment was "Great Job on your final paper" with an "A" for it.

I have a friend who got his undergrad degree at AMU. He was really happy with that program. He began a Master's earlier this year and was disappointed to find out that many of the course were exactly the same except for the course number. Same reading material, same course description. The only difference was that one cost a lot more and was progress toward a higher level degree.

This isn't to say it's all bad. Some of the professors are quite good as are some of the courses. It's also one of the few places provide national security-related degrees and the only one I know of that does so online. Personally, I'd much rather do NDU, but I can't move to DC to do that - at least not right now.

So I will probably complete my AMU masters, but I have to say that if there were another option available to me, I would seriously consider it.
    Last edited by Entropy; 07-30-2008 at 01:43 AM.