Thread: Amu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Amu

I'm very interested in getting a BA from this University, but I have 2 questions. I ask for raw and brutal honesty in your answers and opinions.

1) Do their UG degree programs have a good reputation among the intelligence community and the military? I'm looking at one of these three fields of study: Intelligence (IO), Int. Affairs, or Middle Eastern Studies

(now here's where I request brutal honesty )
    2) By the time I get my degree, I will be 53 or 54 years old. Is my age going to be a hindrance for seeking employment in the Intelligence community? Since I have absolutely zero experience, I will be starting with an entry level position.
    Am I thinking realistically when I believe they won't be all that comcerned with age if I have a BA in one of the three area of studies I mentioned AND have the ability to speak/read/write, at an intermediate level, Arabic or another needed language?

Thanks, Ken

Ken,

While I can't speak for the "big name" intel agencies, when I was going the oral board for the Foreign Service selection process, an older lady was going through at the same time.

It seems she had been a military spouse most of her life, and was starting here own career. One of our members (maybe Tom Odom) has previously stated that the Dept of State actually had some good intelligence analysts buried within its structure, and I imagine they started off with the same FS examination and screening.

Although I also cannot speak on the BA aspect of an AMU education, the various master's degrees offered are fairly prevalent among junior to mid-grade military officers, and I've never known anyone in or out of the military to look on AMU as a diploma mill.

Member ericmwalters was once an AMU instructor, so he will likely pop in here and offer his thoughts.

I'm currently taking courses through them, and I have to say that what I've seen so far is at least on par with the other universities I've attended. What sets them apart is the wide instructor base they can draw on. You won't find that many other places.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Steve, that's the thing (and I believe I mentioned this in another thread), there is nothing nearby that even comes close to what they offer. They have degree programs in exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for the mention of the old lady.

Looking forward to see what eric and Tom have to say.

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for the mention of the old lady.
    She was certainly wiser, as she passed the assessment, and I was sent packing with an advisory to know the Bill of Rights a lot better the next time I attempted.

Council Member

I'm taking the Master's program in Special Operations and Low Intensity Conflict and have been very impressed by the professors as well as the ability to shift deadlines because of work, real world stuff like my wife being sick, etc...

Could not recommend them highly enough.

Default American Military University

Has anyone here enrolled with it? I'm considering enrolling but I'm generally suspect of internet education.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Default Hit the 'Search' feature in the Blue Header

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    Has anyone here enrolled with it? I'm considering enrolling but I'm generally suspect of internet education.
    just below the "Reply to Thread" box at the top left of the page. Type in American Military University and hit 'go.' IIRC there are at least two threads on the School and both have fairly recent comments.

My bad. Thanks for the suggestion.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

I wanna know why AmericanPride is worried about Internet Education... Just a professorial interest in the why's and where fores.. so to speak.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    I wanna know why AmericanPride is worried about Internet Education... Just a professorial interest in the why's and where fores.. so to speak.
    Also, IIRC American Pride, you're a new (or about to be new) 2LT. Be warned that if you start Master's work or finish a degree, you may make yourself ineligible for the Army funded full-time grad school available to junior CPT's as a retention bonus. Something to think about for the long term.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

I enrolled in AMU for a National Security Studies degree.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    I enrolled in AMU for a National Security Studies degree.
    I'm halfway through it if you need anything or have questions. PM me.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Thanks jkm. I'll be starting with the research analysis and US national security courses. I intend to do two at a time (possibly three depending on the workload).

Default AMU questions

hello everyone,

I have a quick question for everyone, I am considering transferring out of AMU, for fear of the school not being recognized in positive light when I apply in the intelligence field. From what I have seen there are not many schools out there that you can recieve an intelligence degree from. Anyone have any advice on which school would be better, and is it common practice for any companies to hire while you are still pursuing the degree. Would like to start gaining experience as soon as possible. Sorry for the trifle questions, just figured you guys may have some answers.

Warmest,
    Porkchop

Default Intell Studies

Porkchop,

I suggest you have a look via Google for Dr Steve Marrin, he is one of the leading academics in this field and there is a large academic studies association in the USA. IIRC Mercyhurst College is where he is, or maybe another place that advertises courses?

I am in the UK and we do have several, long running courses if your US$ can stretch that far.

davidbfpo

Council Member

Porkchop, what do you base this fear on? I though AMUs reputation was regarded rather highly in DOD and Intel.
    OT-I changed majors from Intel Studies to History only because I fear I won't qualify for a security clearance (plus I find Thucydides incredibly interesting).

I've decided to wait on doing a Master's at AMU and apply for the Marine Corps' Special Education Program during my second fleet tour. But, I am going to take AMU Master's courses to bolster my educational record for that application. I'm just deciding whether to get a graduate certificate or just take a few courses under the Legal Studies MA Program.

Council Member

Just received my Master's Diploma last week. Very good. One more to go...another five months...
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
    I've decided to wait on doing a Master's at AMU and apply for the Marine Corps' Special Education Program during my second fleet tour.
    Is that really the name for it?!?!? Plays into many, many USMC related jokes if so.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?