Thread: The Strategic Corporal vs. The Strategic Cameraman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default IO and Foreign Deaths

Two very quick pts (sorry to have been out of the conversation; it's commencement weekend here, and a bit crazy.) And again I apologize for my failures re. the quote function. First, I agree that there are real concerns regarding the military running an explicit IO campaign in an attempt to persuade the American people. I know PAOs who are absolutely adamant that the line between IO and PA must be an absolutely bright one because otherwise PA loses its credibility, but that might be somewhat "inside baseball," I'm not sure the public will make that distinction -- all they'll know is that people in uniform are advocating a position. I don't have a good answer for that (yet), beyond keeping this to the informal channels such as YouTube, where, of course, material is seen by fewer people unless a particular video either "goes virual" or is picked up by the mainstream media.

Second, what about foreign casualties? I think the evidence is mixed. On the one hand, opinion polling suggests that the American public finds foreign casualties less of a check against rationales for military operations -- they care more about American combat casualties in determining whether an operation would be a good idea, and in deciding whether an operation is no longer justified -- but that doesn't mean they don't care at all. The idea that there is some kind of "CNN effect," that they'll see certain kinds of images on TV and "demand that the government do something" is completely overblown on the other hand, but that doesn't mean that they can't be convinced that humanitarian military operations are justified (although it is harder to justify American combat operations in such a context.) With Rwanda, the pictures weren't enough (given how sanitized they were, particularly) in a context where the government was making every possible effort to avoid arguing for an intervention, up to and including orders being issued to the White House staff that "the g word" (ie "genoicde) not be uttered in relation to what was happening.

Here's what's interesting: remember I made the point that images of death were heavily sanitized in the American press. Now, that obviously cuts both ways. It means we don't see American casualties, but we also don't see the real price of terrorism -- we see the burning cars after a VBIED is detonated, but not the bodies of the civilian casualties that result. What if we did? Are we sure that Americans would be more likely to demand a swift pull-out? Historically, Americans have justified their participation in wars as going to the defense of the weak. Who's to say that such images wouldn't totally galvanize the public, (given the proper narrative frames, of course) reminding us of the nature of the enemy we fight. I argued that pictures of dead enemy would backfire. I'm not as sure pictures of dead victims would, particularly in Mark's little clip, where they're contrasted with pictures of what we bring -- schools, and healthcare, and hope. I mean, just who are the real occupiers here?

The key is to avoid a narrative where the cause of the violence is sectarianism, and to focus on the narrative where the deaths have been caused by other impulses (not that hard, after all.) The narrative that says it's "just" sectarian violence is read as a narrative of futility, a parallel to one that was argued during the Balkans -- it's a shorthand for an argument that says, look, these guys have been at this for who knows how many generations (even if they haven't been), it's something we Americans will never hope to understand, and can never stop, so what are we doing in the middle of it? The failure here, from an IO perspective, has been the failure to explain AQI's merry little campaign to stoke the flames, their involvement as quite active players in the sectarian side of the violence.

And with that, I'm off to my research assistant's commissioning, and various commencement events.

Council Member

Default AWOL in the Media Battle Space

Cori writes:

... I know PAOs who are absolutely adamant that the line between IO and PA must be an absolutely bright one because otherwise PA loses its credibility, but that might be somewhat "inside baseball," I'm not sure the public will make that distinction -- all they'll know is that people in uniform are advocating a position. I don't have a good answer for that (yet), beyond keeping this to the informal channels such as YouTube, where, of course, material is seen by fewer people unless a particular video either "goes virual" or is picked up by the mainstream media.
    This reminds me of the guy on the night compass march who did not want to pull his partner out of a hole he tripped into because he feared losing his azimuth. (Hey, it really happened.)

The enemy has said that half his war effort is in the media battle space and we are not engaging. If PA is worried about losing credibility, why not be worried about the country losing credibility in the war instead, because of our failure to develop a response to the enemy media campaign.

Council Member

Default PA Credibility

Well, the reason it's so important to keep PA firewalled from IO is because, although this might be "inside baseball" to the public, as I argued, it isn't to the press. It's the PAOs who deal with the press, and there can't be any sense that they are engaging in advocacy, IO campaigns, spin, etc. etc., because then they lose credibility with the press. And there is a pretty good argument that if the PAOs don't have credibility with the press then whatever else is going on in "the media battle," you're in trouble. I know there's a great deal of criticism of the press (I engage in a good deal of it myself) but the best reporters on the military beat have good relationships with the PAOs, both will generally tell you. Those relationships center on trust, going both ways. PAOs have to be "purer than Caesar's wife," in a sense, in this regard, so that if they say, for ex., no, we don't think there were civilians in that building we just hit, the press take that seriously and don't question it because they know those same guys are also involved in IO campaigns, also wearing IO hats. That's the argument, and I think it's a pretty good one, or at least it's one I don't have a particularly compelling answer to myself.

Council Member

Just some thoughts:

1) The enemy has a natural understanding of how to use the media whereas the United States military does not.

2) The media is naturally attracted to 'if it bleeds, it leads' because thats what sells rather than 'well dug in africa'.

3) The insurgency in iraq has effectively managed most, but not all the big Western media by kidnappings, etc, limiting them to reporting from the green zone or embedding.

4) Anything the US military says or the US government is treated like propaganda, even if its correct the media is unlikely as a whole to endorse it because they don't want to be seen as stooges of the government, and the medias natural sympathys is towards the underdog terrorists because they can provide news that bleeds.

5) There is a perception in the West that war can be clean and sanitized, and this is mainly down to the very successful media operations of Gulf War 1 showing surgical missile strikes.

6) Most feedback is negative. If you ever run a business, you'll always hear when somethings gone wrong, never when things go right. This is probably part of being human and is going to reflect in the media uploaded onto the internet. The 7/7 bombings had a media cycle of detanation -> recorded by mobiles - > uploaded / passed onto the media in what 30 minutes? The terrorists are always going to be setting the media agenda.

7) The only pro-goverment line that is accepted and rewarded is the insider doing a blog or the like on the internet because it is felt that they are 'the real deal'. Problem is their impact is always going to be less than the 'pro-terrorist' message of the other side.

Just some thoughts. What do you think?

Appears accurate, but I would add that, as less and less civilians serve their country as soldiers, due to the professionalization of the military, as well as the military representing less and less the mainstream of America, the more likely they are to believe what is reported in the media, vis-a-vis the military, no matter how incorrect that reporting may be. In fact, the lack of military service within the media will guarantee that media reporting will always be inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cori View Post
    ...It means we don't see American casualties, but we also don't see the real price of terrorism -- we see the burning cars after a VBIED is detonated, but not the bodies of the civilian casualties that result. What if we did?
    I think you are on to something important here. One of the few times the mainstream media has given wide coverage to actual bodies in this war was when the four private contractors's bodies were attacked in Falluja in '04. People were outraged.

Most of the footage I see now, on youtube and elsewhere -- seems to imply one of two things:

a) senseless slaughter -- on the part of US forces.
    b) US troops riding around getting blown up

I don't see the message getting out about what the terrorists are doing to ordinary Iraqi people, not in a way people can relate to.
    ------------------------------------------
    Charles Sheehan-Miles
    Prayer at Rumayla: A Novel of the Gulf War
    www.sheehanmiles.com

Council Member

Default Fallujah Images

Actually, that's a very interesting example. It's one of the only iconic images that most people wouldn't actually recognize, because (like the Mogadishu images) media outlets believed it's newsvalue trumped the fact that it was so disturbing, and so chose to run it, but unlike those images, they almost all altered it in some fashion, cropping it or pixellating it, so that very few people saw the same version of the image. This article:

http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/report...71-74V58N2.pdf

includes a chart of which outlets showed which version of the image.