Thread: Brave New War Book Review

Default Brave New War Book Review

Tom Barnett reviews John Robb's Brave New War at Tom's blog.

Not a book review, but more just my impressions. I just hate doing surveys of books.

Just finished Robb's book, "Brave New War," and I liked it for where it succeeds brilliantly (tactical and operational descriptions of the emerging threats, which Robb views as ascendant and which I view as just what's left over) and forgive it where it succeeds least (he doesn't sell me on the death of either nation-states nor globalization--the ultimate open-source network--in large part because he can't adequately define "win" and "defeat" in his rather expansive statements about global guerrillas declaring wars on states and even the world and "winning."...
    I thought we had a thread up on BNW... Could not locate it.

Last edited by zenpundit; 05-10-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Default On-going discussion

On-going discussion with author John Robb on this website:

http://www.dunedain.net/bravenewwar/

Default The Insurgent Advantage

18 May NY Times - The Insurgent Advantage by David Brooks (requires Times Select subscription).

... Thanks to a series of organizational technological innovations, guerrilla insurgencies are increasingly able to take on and defeat nation-states.

Over the past few years, John Robb has been dissecting the behavior of these groups on his blog, Global Guerrillas. Robb is a graduate of the Air Force Academy and Yale University, and he has worked both as a special ops counterterrorism officer and as a successful software executive.

In other words, he’s had personal experience both with modern warfare and the sort of information management that is the key to winning it. He’s collected his thoughts in a fast, thought-sparking book, “Brave New War” that, astonishingly, has received only one print review — distributed by U.P.I. — in the month since it’s been published...