Quote Originally Posted by Sargent View Post
Interesting. I would note that many Marines get frustrated by the B-billet rotation -- "I didn't join the Marine Corps as [fill in combat arms mos] to sit behind an [expletive deleted] desk in DC or Quantico!"
I'm not finding fault with Sargent's post, but with the quoted attitude that is often expressed over beers at the O-Club.

The career path options for a Marine Officer are minted before that officer is initially commissioned. The company grade officers that young lieutenant begins his service with are all serving B-Billets (MOI, OSO, Naval Academy Staff, TBS, MOS School). The field grade officers in the fleet units all have served in B-Billets as well. At TBS, each career path brief includes the obvious B-Billet schedule. Even the Marine Officer's Guide (valid but dated) lists the B-Billets.

Thus, when the aforementioned quote is offered forward to solicit praise from an officer's peers, it is really a high point of ignorance. Does that officer expect Manpower to fly out from DC and draft up the ideal "combat arms" twenty year career without B Billets?

Concerning the original intent of the thread, my observation has been that most company and field grade officers will not make more money in salary when leaving the service, but will enjoy a more closely tailored quality of life to their own personal interets. Additionally, the edge they might lose in salary will more than likely be realized in reduced living expenses and more lucrative real estate opportunities.