No, it is not impossible to address the others' misconceptions and fears.

One has to be educated enough of the sensibility and apprehensions of those who have to be placated.
The question is how those who approach it feel as to their abilities to understand vs what those they are addressing think about those abilities.

On another note just in case there happen to be any pols hanging out please pass on that this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post

This was exactly what I was trying to get at. The reality that it is a disconnect between ways of thinking will not unfortunately mean that that won't be the thinking anyway. At least from many of the areas where that thinking comes out in the public sector.

This would or will bring out the second issue you described. It is at that point I think the shift may take place. Unlike the devisiveness of the Iraq war in the political realm almost noone within the political or public realm in the west disagrees with operations needing to be conducted in Afghanistan. I mean after all that's where OB and Zawahiri are, right. Thus the pressure change in that I don't see the lack of popular support for dealing with AQ and the Taliban and thus the expectation for the new Pakistani government to do something besides say (Not our Problem). (emphasis added)

Seeing as it won't be their fault would it follow that they wouldn't have to fear the same popular backlash and as such should we go ahead and take care of the problem we "caused"
Was not a suggestion and definately not a good idea