Thread: Pakistani politics (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default Brigadier's article is very revealing of locations!

David, thanks for posting the Brigadier's article.

What jumped out at me most was:

The likely hideouts are the Dawar area of North Waziristan, Upper Orakzai Agency and the Pakhtun areas of Balochistan. However, if the operations are conducted in both Waziristan agencies, than Zhob and other Pakhtun areas of Balochistan are going to be places where the militants will flee.
    Two schools of thought on over advertising in the open the operations before begun in N. and S. Wazirstan:

1. To let the civilian population know to "get out of the way and out of the area" to lower collateral damage/deaths.

2. To warn the key leadership of al Qaida and the Taliban so they could seek shelter elsewhere while letting their men be killed in the future fighting.

Jedburgh, too, has had a series of very informative posts the last few days, in particular, in my opinion. I am too stupid to keep up the adroit, well informed useful info you guys seem to roll over and toss out casually.

All of you keep up the good information and experience sharing. I note a growing number of US company grade and early field grade join-ups on SWJ. This is very encouraging.

Also note a few, would like to see more, Canadians and down unders registering. The more the better.

What I would really like to see are some still serviing, perhaps too much to ask for, Pakistani and Afghan officers and NCOs offering their views and suggestions.

It would uniquely also be helpful to hear from a few regular Army officers in Iran on how they flush out and deal with al Qaida cells which I read of late are being rooted out.

Too, the Saudi Royal family officers currently serving as to how they are containing and controlling the Wahabbi terrorist training camps and schools inside Saudi Arabia.

My wish list could go on and on.

Default Pakistan holds pro-Taliban cleric

A radical cleric, Sufi Mohammad, who brokered a failed peace deal in Pakistan's Swat valley has been arrested, officials say: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8169385.stm

davidbfpo

A martial law firing squad?

Default Pakistan: one step forward

George,

I would suggest the very fact the cleric's arrest has been revealed means he will not "disappear" and there is no martial law in Pakistan. On reflection others have been arrested and have "disappeared". Arrested by who, ISI, police, para-military or Army?

What will be important is how long he is held and what he is charged with at court.

More details on his arrest, note he was reported to be in "protective custody" in May 2009 and was then released: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archiv...etains_suf.php

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-27-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Add new link

Council Member

Default Villagers cowboy-ing up

Possible good news from Pakistan. Hopefully the Pakistani government will support/monitor them so they don't get wiped out by the Taliban or become a rogue militia themselves.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090730/...kistan_militia
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-30-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: rouge to rogue

Default Perhaps wishful thinking

Perhaps a clear cut war fighting zone where this cleric was captured needs a fast court process as under martial law, shoot on sight, etc?