To the best of my knowledge it is, however, far too much is made of it, IMHO. First, a large set of pictures was released in one set in response to a FOIA request (and, really, how many pics of caskets on a plane does the press need? That's one of those images where file footage works for them.) I'm fairly sure a second set was leaked by a woman working for a private contractor, who was then fired (and, if I remember correctly, received a great deal of positive press for her choice.) Second, of course, the press can always ask families if they can film or photograph funerals, and obviously many families are open to having press photographers present. (What's lost there, of course, is the shot of rows of multiple caskets, but, again, how many of those shots do you need to make the point?) Third, I'm fairly sure that since Arlington is public, the press can film funerals there even without a family's permission if they stay a certain respectful distance away, although I don't remember what that distance is.

All of that said, I'm not sure the reg makes all that much sense. It was put in place a number of years ago (Desert Storm, I believe) and the amount of negative press regarding the reg probably massively trumps the number of pictures that would be shot there because, again, how many repetitive shots would the press want of the same iconic image? At some pt it just becomes enough. Keeping the reg in place, on the other hand, makes it look as if the administration/military feel as if they've got something to hide.