All,

I have observed this site for about a year now, just recently joined. This is my first post so bear with me. The topic I would like to bring up is the army's current state of developing junior leaders. A PSG in my Battery and I have been discussing what we see as flaws in the system, at great length. We are looking at it from different perspectives, I as the LT and him as the senior NCO, so it has been very enlightening at the similarities that we have drawn from our discussions. We both agree that the army is promoting too many junior leaders who are not ready much too fast. We have SSGs in our battery that were pinned just after they reached 4 years time in service. Many would question whether or not they were ready for the increased responsibility. Some were ready, some are not and it is painfully obvious. Very few of the NCOs with the exception of our SFC's and the 1SG who are at or will be at the 20 year mark shortly, have been to your traditional NCO developmental courses (WLC, BNOC, ANOC). On the officer side I find it absolutely ridiculous that the army is promoting junior officers to CPT at 3 years time in at an alarming promotion rate of 98-99%. No reasonable person can possibly believe that all of these officers are ready for the jobs that come with being a staff CPT or commander. Now don't get me wrong, I believe that there are some fast trackers who are ready for that additional responsibility. There are currently 6 LTs in my unit including myself. It is really scary for me to think of some of my peers being CPTs working in S3 or some day being commanders. Enough ranting

We both recognize that unfortunately the army will have to increase rates of promotion during war in order to fill critical positions. However we do not believe that standards for promotion need to be compromised, just modified. I think most people who subscribe to this web site believe that in time of war Rank is nothing, talent is everything . This statement is very true. There are PFCs in my unit who you could put SGT stripes on today and would out perform the SSGs and SFCs who lead them. Same goes for some of the LTs in comparison to some CPTs and MAJs for that matter. The conclusion that we have come to is that the army’s structured systems of promotion do not work during war time. We feel that the army through its promotion system does not reward those who have the true talent for leadership and "battlefield smarts".

Now we get into how to "fix" the system. We feel that for the NCO side where leadership development has failed and can be saved is the promotion point system and more specifically WLC. Right now a soldier can only receive 8 points for going to WLC, but he can get a total of 300 points for going to a board and "Commanders Points". First of all the curriculum for WLC is severely watered down and tagging it with the title "Warrior" is sickening. We feel that revamping the promotion point system by applying a significant amount of points to WLC and revamping the curriculum would be a great start. Below is a brainstorming session we did on how the curriculum should be changed.
1. WLC should be a requirement to make E5
2. Open WLC up to PFCs and SPC and be screened by CO level Commanders prior to going
3. WLC would become an evaluation that would get soldiers promotion points
4. There would be some permanent party Cadre (Being Cadre for WLC should hold the same weight for senior NCOs as being a Drill SGT or Recruiter). The actual evaluators and other required personnel would come from Post Red Cycle tasking.
5. Evaluated events
- APFT
- Give a PT session
- Written test on Army Physical Fitness
- D&C (Hands on and Written exam)
- Wpns Qual
- Written exam on BRM & ARM
- Crew served (Load Fire Clear) M249, M240B, M2, MK19 (M203), and written exam
- Land NAV (Day, Night, Written Exam)
- CLS skills (written and hands on) (this would imply that students must be CLS prior to going to WLC)
- 3 Day field problem conducting basic fire team size missions (clear a room etc.) (soldiers will be provided by red cycle tasking)
- Developmental counseling and Army Leadership Exams (Leadership exam should include an essay with the topic being a moral dilemma a leader may possibly encounter and how to handle it from a leaders perspective)
- Promotion and Review Board (Staffed by E7s and above)
6. Combine current systems board points (150), WLCs (8) and give a max of 158 points for the course.
7. An overall score of 70% to be a WLC grad
8. Top 1% receives an automatic promotion to E5
9. Top 5% receive automatic promotion to CPL

Some may argue that this caters more towards the infantry, but we argue that these skills are necessary for all soldiers in today’s army. Some may also argue that PFCs and SPCs that could go to WLC may not be ready to SGTs in their branch. That responsibility should lie on the Commander and his NCOs preparing that soldier and training him in his craft prior to being sent to WLC.

We believe that a course like this could be conducted in less than 3 weeks time and would pay big dividends towards selecting the best young NCOs for the Army. We also have some more ideas for BNOC and ANOC (I will not bore you with them at this point).
Some may be concerned that this may affect personnel numbers at the NCO ranks, but we all know that the army adjusts it minimum points for promotion all the time. We do feel that going through WLC however, should be a requirement to make E5.

As for the Officer side. It is very simple. Changing the OER to reflect a clearly defined OML would be a great start. Also enforcing more involvement in junior officer rating from the senior rater’s point of view would be great. We believe that we should follow a system of talent over rank on the officer side as well. We should hold early promotion boards for LTs and CPTs, Rather than having a cookie cutter DOR requirement. Obviously the easy fix for the army is the adjust the DOR requirements in order to fill the ranks, however you run into the dilemma of promoting some too early and holding those who have the true talent back. It is very disheartening to be promoted at the same time as those you feel are not ready. Currently there is no system in place that rewards LTs and Junior CPTs for outstanding performance. An officer cannot distinguish themselves until they get there look at BZ MAJ. The army loses a lot of great young officers to attrition at the four year mark due to disgust with not being able to distinguish themselves. For myself I know that a bonus would not be a good reason to stay in the army. If I knew that I had a true shot at faster promotion due to my merit rather than my DOR I would stay. At this point however I am discouraged with the system and am unsure about my future in the army. I have been given assignments of greater responsibility due to my merit, but I still see guys getting promoted at the same time as me who are true "DUDS" and do not belong. Patriotism, commitment to soldiers, and spirit can be crushed by lack of recognition for your achievements. I'm sure that many of you can relate.

I look forward to comments. We have discussed publishing something on the subject or maybe just forwarding our ideas to some friends at higher command. This truly is a sore subject for many of those ambitious leaders at our level. Maybe shaking things up a little will help maybe not we'll see what happens to LTC Yingling, a truly respected Redleg and fellow CAV trooper. Brave Rifles!