Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
VICE makes for some pretty insightful and powerful reporting. The format definitely shapes the discussion differently than anything else out there I have seen.
Yes I would agree. I did find their latest offering on ISIS strained credibility, but when you consider the restrictions placed upon them it is easier to understand.

This is reflected in the linked critique, which ends with:
Either way, Vice News has produced the most compelling coverage of this new war so far.
Link:http://www.spectator.co.uk/arts/tele...ion-insurgent/

But are those guys warlords in the classic sense? It doesn't look like there is much to be gained in those few square blocks.
I couldn't think of a suitable adjective, so yes 'warlord' is not the best term. From the film it was clear they had power to defend and rescue; with an element of pay-back in being charitable. The film did not make clear where the money came from for all their activity.

In extreme civil situations the most unlikely defender can emerge. Often they are people who know violence and recognise an opportunity to become respected. Though the closing segment with a group leader lamenting the situation as his young daughters played with his sidearm indicated self-doubt.