Great commentary. I loved the "the people live on the ground" line. Made me laugh out loud.

I would say this: USAF, as an institution, is not interested to see airpower operate as a support element. I worked USAF QDR in 2001, and I remember getting the stink-eye when, in a brain-storming session of things we could suggest to them as pieces for their report, I suggested various ways that extant platforms could be used to support the ground element. (Note, I didn't _mean_ to work the air side, it just happened that that was the project I got put on -- distinctly difficult for this ground-centric, airpower as a great supporting element gal.) I remember putting together a slide (from open source materials) that showed the air elements over Afghanistan once OEF kicked off -- it was insane what it took to put together that effort. And all I could think was, gee, look at all those targets. Try it one day, but be prepared for head spinning insanity.

Another thing that bothers me is this notion that we can depopulate the battlespace of our people and fight wars without loss. The enemy won't allow it. If our troops aren't there, then they will just come here to get them -- or the civilians. You can't fight -- let alone win -- a war without putting people at risk. It's the sad reality of war.