Thread: A new variant of the Nigeria scam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nigerian-Chinese Scam

Dr. Tyrrell:

Have you seen this? Directed to U.S. law firms:

---------------------------------------
    Attention Counsel.

Top of the day to you Attorney,Upon recent research via the internet,our company has decided to contact your Law firm as regards a debt collection issue with some of our indebted customers within your region.please do confirm the receipt of this mail due to the urgency of this matter.If you are not in position to represent us at the moment kindly advice immediately.After a careful review, we decided to contact you to represent our company in America, We would require your legal representation for our American delinquent Customers.

We are of the opinion that a reputable attorney is required to represent us in America in order for us to recover monies due to our organization by overseas customers, and as well follow up with these accounts. In order to achieve these objectives a good and reputable law firm like yours will be required to handle this service. We understand that a proper Attorney Client agreement must be entered into by both parties.This will be done immediately we receive your letter of acceptance.

Mr Mike Lee Yu
    General Manager
    ------------------------------------------

I am curious how this is intended to work, but I have been too timid to try a reply.

Regards,

- John Biggers

Biggers & Ohanian, LLP
    515 Congress, Suite 1400
    Austin, Texas 78701
    (512) 472-9881

Council Member

Its amazing who scammers can get. My brother in law, managed a couple of successful small business', managed a park, top-notch salesman, etc got suckered into forking over 500$ cash in a lotto number racket. Ya' never know...

Council Member

Default Iraqi email scam

This came through the ether this morning (Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:09 AM, to: undisclosed recipients; subj:: CAN I TRUST YOU?):

From Sgt Ali Ibrahim
    Camp MXP-512 Third Infantry Division
    UnitT.I.D.U,
    Abul Uruj, Baghdad, Iraq.
    I am Ali M.Ibrahim, a native of Iraq. I am a Military Contractor with the America troop currently serving in the third infantry division Unit in Iraq.
    I am currently on duty break. My partner Darren D. Braswell,36, of Riverdale, Ga., died Jan. 7th near TalAfar, Iraq, when the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter in which he was a Passenger crashed. Braswell worked For the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, before his death We secretly moved some abandoned cash in a mansion belonging to the former president, Saddam Hussein and the total cash is US$20,200,000.00 Twenty Million two hundred thousand Dollars.
    SUORCE OF MONEY: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm
    As I write this letter to you, these boxes are in Security Company as I secretly moved it out of Baghdad to safe place.
    Sir I seek your consent to help me move this money to your country location.
    You do not have to be afraid of anything as no one else knows about this and everything is safe. I would be pleased and grateful to you if you could assist me and my late partner Darren D. Braswel in receiving this boxes for us on your behalf as I will be heading back soon to camp in Iraq to join my colleagues. Of course, I shall compensate you with an attractive percent of the total funds for your role/efforts. We have limited time now as you know that our evacuation agreement is been negotiated by the USA and IRAQI government, kindly get back to me immediately.
    Moving the funds out of the security company is not going to be much of a problem as arrangements are being made towards that. All I want from you is your trust,
    Please get back to me with your full name
    Contact phone number
    Preferable without delay and let’s negotiate terms.
    Your response will determine our subsequent correspondence.

Yours in Service.
    Ali M.Ibrahim.
    Sender's email: alibrahim440@yahoo.co.nz

Anybody else get this gem.

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 09-23-2009 at 05:10 PM.

I am contacting the guy.

My name is Marc Tyrell

Mike,

"You do not have to be afraid of anything as no one else knows about this and everything is safe."

You see how you are? Everything was fine and you had to go and tell the WHOLE world!
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Council Member

Default My bad - telling the world

This little snippet was the real news:

.... our evacuation agreement is been negotiated by the USA and IRAQI government.....
    although I'm having trouble with the verbal "is been". Does that mean that Tom will be evacuating the sandbox today or tomorrow ?

Default Nigerian fraudster talks?

From a US IT security blogsite an interview with a Nigerian fraudster: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive....html#comments there are two other link interviews.

Their introduction is cautionary:
    Editor’s Disclaimer: Whilst I am reporting an actual conversation, I have no way of verifying the information or details contained within. The interviewee contacted me voluntarily and anonymously claiming to be an ex-scammer who is now studying in the UK. I have agreed to tell his story but this is told ‘as is’ without guarantee as to accuracy or truthfulness. To protect our users we have agreed that the interviewee, who will be known by the pseudonym “John”, will not directly take part in discussions or comments and will not join our community. I do not know how long “John” will maintain contact and in the event that contact is broken, this series of blogs will be discontinued.
    Finally no request is made for any cash transfer in reading the interviews.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-30-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    davidbfpo