Thread: A book roundtable on John Robb's Global Guerillas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A book roundtable on John Robb's Global Guerillas

Reading the review of John Robb's Global Guerillas by Frank Hoffman this sounds like an excellent book to help the SWJ community discuss 4GW and other trends and theories about the future of war. It got me thinking so I pitched to Dave Dilegge the idea that we could have a discussion on the SWC with some possible moderation / input possibly by John Robb, Frank Hoffman or one of the folks more familiar with 4GW theory (nobody has signed up for this, so we it might be just those interested in participating).

The key to gettng the most out of this is participation by a wide variety of backgrounds and interests - which is one of the real strengths of the SWC. I just ordered the book off Amazon.com, and its not too expensive. I'll open a thread on the council and start a sign up list - there is no maximum number or anything like that, just sort of feeling out who might be interested.

We'd start once everybody had a book - so say give it to the first full week of June where we'd take it chapter by chapter - or idea by idea. We'd bounce the things put forward like the "bazaar" based off what we're seeing in OIF/OEF, the media, etc.

Any takers?

regards, Rob

Rob, I have already read it. Sign me up.

Council Member

Definitely be up for this, it's good to see people getting interested in Robb's work, there was some skepticism and dismissal last time I brought his name up around here.

Might want to push the date back though, when I glanced at Amazon it said the book would ship in 2 to 4 weeks, so those of us overseas would need at least a month to get our hands on it.

I am in.

Tom

Default I'm in too...

Just ordered - but I am with GS - give me a month?

Also, order here - Brave New War and help the SWJ at the same time. Thanks...

Sounds interesting. I'm in, if you don't mind a 4GW cynic....

I'll be ordering the book soon. Now that we got our last group commissioned things are slowing down and I can actually turn my attention to classwork and other things.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War