Jimbo-
Not my poll questions, I was quoting the ones supplied.

I would also suggest that when you actively seek people out...
You have a good point that folks can be turned off when we seek a specific audience, but... There are degrees of "actively". Whenever I run into junior folks who express an interest in "Small Wars" issues, I point out that there is a community of like minded people here at SWJ/SWC. I only mention it once, and only to folks who have already expressed an interest. "Actively" can be with a light touch.

"Hook'em while they're young" was flippantly worded, but important in principle. Consistently, I run into senior (GO/SES/CEO level) people whose habits (good and bad) were shaped by what they were exposed to 30+ years ago, when they were in their twenties. This is one way we can make a difference. Also, what the younger folks bring to the fight is a willingness to think outside the stock, doctrinal answers, and frequently without an agenda. This is good. The SWC seems to play like this anyways, but it doesn't hurt to try to reinforce this pattern of behavior. Having that fresh look from folks smarter than me, combined with outside-the-box perspectives, has always improved whatever I work on (if only to force me to maintain a higher standard of intellectual rigor).

You're right that we have to be careful not to turn off perspective members, but we should, tactfully, invite an expanded membership, especially if we want to be a catalyst for change.