There's a difference between "humanitarian aid" and "development aid". Humanitarian aid is about keeping people alive in extreme conditions; it's what we're trying to do in Haiti and in parts of Africa. Often in these conditions it's simply not possible to bring development aid into play effectively. Development aid to me is something that has to be carefully applied and used in plces and times where there's an opportunity. Tossing it around loosely ends up with the old paradigm of "poor people in rich countries giving money to rich people in poor countries", which is not what we want to do.
Dayuhan

Concerning that matter, unfortunately: NO.

Too often humanitarian aid is turned into giving poor people money from rich countries to rich people in poor countries at war.
The man who supplied WFP in Goma for years made a good amount of money (with 6 zero). And the local authorities took their part too.
In Chad, the "prefet" received a water tank of 20 000L for his personal use as proof of good will and cooperation from a very well known NGO.
In Lebanon, NGO distributed aid to Palestinian camps which were not even affected by the war. Several important families with strong hands in politic received through their foundations huge bulk of medical aid which they sold instead of distributing it.
In Liberia, WFP food smuggling was organized by the police.

I am thousands of examples. I even bought a refugee cart at my name for 500 US$ once and was registered under my real name into by HCR...

What you point out is just what we have to be careful of.

Steve,

Concerning water:
Have a look on Merlin and Oxfam web sites.
Basically assume that water is NOT DRINKABLE! portable water blazzer (5000, 10 000 L) will do the trick. compte 20 L per person/day.
Chlorine (you know the swimming pool stuff) will do the trick to clean the water and keep it safe. But the water must be kept out of sun light.
Form comities among the population to protect the water points around the water blazzers and explain to the people how to use the tapes.
Train people to chlorinate the blazzer when water is delivered.
There is no water tank trucks? Put a water blazzer 5000 L on a truck 2/3 full maximum (so it wont damage the blazzer when moving). You also have semi hard water blazzers (the bottom is in hard plastic) they are great for such use.
Blazzer must be 1 m higher than distribution point at least. Also build a bed of sand for the blazzer so you do not break it when you refill it.
Put you water point at least 10 m far from the Blazzer.
I highly recommand to NOT USE ROOF to set up water blazzer (1 L water = 1 KG: 5000 L = 5000 KG).
Roofs and buildings are fragile for the momment in Haiti.
Avoid distributing the big 100, 500 L drums. People will fight to get one.
When you install a blazzer, distribute jerricanes to the community around. 1 jerrican of 20 L per family. (if some receive 2... What the ####)
Also what comes with water is hygiene and latrines. In NGO/UN speaking language this is called watsan. UNICEF organise a watsan cluster every day, week, 2 days...(?). People have to participate! This is the main point where info is exchanged! ALL NGO ARE PARTICIPATING: NATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL... So should military acting in watsan! The same for shelter, food distribution, health... (I know, some UN agencies are better than others! But in the case of Haiti, I hope they will move their hass for once!)

All this is standard and in SPHERE.
For all possible activities, always have a look to the SPHERE standards from United Nations.
This is the basic international standards for emergency interventions. What the people have to receive at least to keep their dignity. (And Human dignity is cheap, believe me, even according SPHERE standards.)

When a guy says but who said the people have to have SPHERE standards water: just smach him! He is an idiot!

That's all for my practicle advices.

Mike,

Very usefull your pdf.

M-A