Thread: I'd like to get comments on this blog

Council Member

Default I'd like to get comments on this blog

http://defense-and-freedom.blog.de/

Any comments, please.

Default Short comment

Appears to be a German site, the feint style is not easy to read and on a quick skim not something I'd check again.

Council Member

Hey, that's not fair. Always a positive comment first, then the complaints. Otherwise noone else will have a look...

Quote Originally Posted by Lastdingo View Post
    Any comments, please.
    (emphasis added)

Actually, I think our voyeurism is engaged just as well, if not better, on a flesh pile vs. a love fest.

And to practice what you just preached, thanks davidbfpo for providing your reasoned feedback to another member.

- I concur w/ difficulty reading through the styles and faint text.
    - I am intrigued by concept of an English language blog on Germany. But from the perspective of (tell us who you are in the about page, make the link more prominent, put some more intel on your intent in there beyond the mission statement)?
    - Given that linguistic reality of your battlespace, recommend that when you provide a German quote (e.g. the Constitution phrases), you always provide a literal translation as well as an interpretation. You did in an early entry but not a later one.

Good luck

Council Member

What exactly is so difficult? Reading the letters (it's a default layout) or my english?

Council Member

* Text font colour makes it hard to read.
    * General colours of the whole site make it subdued.
    * The mission statement under the title is too wordy.
    * Nothing that makes it stand out from any other blog.

What exactly is so difficult? Reading the letters (it's a default layout) or my english?
    Your English is great.

Default Constructive critics here...

... will help you in the long run. Best of luck on your blog!

Council Member

Layout changed. I have only the choice among a couple of standard layouts with minor possibilites to edit. All else wouldn't be free.

The most challenging about this blog is to find competent contributors. I contacted some international friends, but the word "blog" alone suffices to let them think of a huge time effort.

There are enough blogs out there on equpment, but few on the greater matters, defense policy and defense of freedom/sovereignty in general.

I' aware that the content isn't for everyone. Some are simply not interested or part of such a different political direction that they wouldn't agree, ever. But I wanted to do something more complex and challenging than just equipment discussions - I've done enough about mere tools with my PDW homepage.
    Last edited by Lastdingo; 06-03-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Layout changed. I have only the choice among a couple of standard layouts with minor possibilites to edit. All else wouldn't be free.

The most challenging about this blog is to find competent contributors. I contacted some international friends, but the word "blog" alone suffices to let them think of a huge time effort.

There are enough blogs out there on equpment, but few on the greater matters, defense policy and defense of freedom/sovereignty in general.

I' aware that the content isn't for everyone. Some are simply not interested or part of such a different political direction that they wouldn't agree, ever. But I wanted to do something more complex and challenging than just equipment discussions - I've done enough about mere tools with my PDW homepage.
    To be honest with you, I don't see much original thought. everything in that blog has been said elsewhere countless times in the last 5 years.
    Example is better than precept.

Council Member

Aside from the detail that "countless" was for sure an exaggeration on your part - I'm really surprised that you knew about five years ago about the very recent story surrounding the fence...

I've read entire books of famous authors without finding anything that resembles an original thought, yet some of them were excellent. The USMC Maneuver Warfare handbook publication, for example. It has nothing, really nothing original - but it's an excellent compendium that fusioned many different approaches. It would require onths of instense reading of high quality books to learn the same by the original sources (which I did, I was astonished to find a book that merges so much).

With six billion people on earth it would be a poor world if only the original was good - after all, the original is difficult to find.

Anyway, as I already mentioned; I'm searching for authors. And as you certainly expected, there are futher topics in preparation. It just doesn't make sense to create a blog and then launch everything in the first week when few readers are present.

edit: I uploaded a more 'original' story as today's contribution.

- Given that linguistic reality of your battlespace, recommend that when you provide a German quote (e.g. the Constitution phrases), you always provide a literal translation as well as an interpretation. You did in an early entry but not a later one.
    I changed the entry accordingly.
    It's easy for me to understand and communicate in English, but I'm no professional interpreter (although I did it on the job). That's why I have a bad feeling in the stomach when I translate such essential texts like constitution articles. It's already horrifying enough how bad many translations in the TV news are and history books tell about slight manipulations in translations that were used to motivate wars, so I'm really sensitive about imperfect translations of important texts.
    Last edited by Lastdingo; 06-04-2007 at 12:51 AM.

Aside from the detail that "countless" was for sure an exaggeration on your part - I'm really surprised that you knew about five years ago about the very recent story surrounding the fence...

I've read entire books of famous authors without finding anything that resembles an original thought, yet some of them were excellent. The USMC Maneuver Warfare handbook publication, for example. It has nothing, really nothing original - but it's an excellent compendium that fusioned many different approaches. It would require onths of instense reading of high quality books to learn the same by the original sources (which I did, I was astonished to find a book that merges so much).

With six billion people on earth it would be a poor world if only the original was good - after all, the original is difficult to find.

Anyway, as I already mentioned; I'm searching for authors. And as you certainly expected, there are futher topics in preparation. It just doesn't make sense to create a blog and then launch everything in the first week when few readers are present.

edit: I uploaded a more 'original' story as today's contribution.

I changed the entry accordingly.
    It's easy for me to understand and communicate in English, but I'm no professional interpreter (although I did it on the job). That's why I have a bad feeling in the stomach when I translate such essential texts like constitution articles. It's already horrifying enough how bad many translations in the TV news are and history books tell about slight manipulations in translations that were used to motivate wars, so I'm really sensitive about imperfect translations of important texts.
    I'm referring to your COIN-Four Schools of thought entry. We've beat the hell out of that topic around here about every 3 weeks. I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just wondering where the value added is.

You asked for feedback. Don't ask for it and then get defensive.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    I'm referring to your COIN-Four Schools of thought entry. We've beat the hell out of that topic around here about every 3 weeks. I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just wondering where the value added is.

You asked for feedback. Don't ask for it and then get defensive.
    Well, I aimed for another audience than exclusively members of this forum, maybe I misunderstood the remark.
    Remember - there are countries in the alliance that don't wage a COIN war to date and didn't for at least two generations. The value added in that case if the compression in combination with transfer.
    And honestly - I don't believe that the majority already understood.

edit:
    Thanks so far for the comments.
    I hope the new layout works better. On my screen, both are fine. I'll have a look at the topics and mix original and other content as well as possible. It won't be possible to write only about ideas that nobody has ever heard of, though.
    Last edited by Lastdingo; 06-04-2007 at 08:02 AM.

Council Member

Sooo, the blog went on, so I'd like for feedback, again.

I promise some interesting reading there.

http://defense-and-freedom.blog.de/
    Last edited by Lastdingo; 07-02-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Hey, that's not fair. Always a positive comment first, then the complaints. Otherwise noone else will have a look...
    One of my favorites is, "You sweat less than any fat girl I've danced with."

Council Member

Oh my god. If I could only edit that post.
    The smilie has 90% of the meaning of that reply, but noone seems to see it...

Stick to studying the use of hemp and other natural fibers.....

Yes, I can use the internet too.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    Stick to studying the use of hemp and other natural fibers.....

Yes, I can use the internet too.
    hemp? fibers?

edit:
    Wow, you assume there's only one person in the world with my name and trade?
    Great display of judgement.
    Last edited by Lastdingo; 07-11-2007 at 02:25 AM.

Hi Guys,

The layout is better, but do hey give you a 3 column option with the posts in the centre column? Having to scroll down so far to get to the text is a pain and probably will turn people off.

As for hemp, why not look into some of the "creative" battlefield uses? (smoke screens anyone ).

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/