Thread: Turkey mainly, Iraq and the Kurds (2006-2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

The threat is very real. Over 15,000 Turks were killed fighting with Kurdish seperatists from the 1980's onward through today. The Turks will not and do not mess around when it comes to Kurds.

Now, will they actually do this?

I don't think it's posturing at all. I also don't think it will lead to a regional war - unless the Iranians and Syrians join in with attacks on their Kurdish populations - and then we are in a seriously tight spot. The Peshmerga will fight the Turks first, and the PKK second...ethnicity will win out.

Don't want to lay odds on the situation but there is no love lost between both sides here.

While I do not discount the longstanding animosity between Turks and Kurds causing an unfortunate engagement, I do doubt the Turks will actually mount a major cross border incursion. Having a low level border viloation omething that they can explain away as an "oops, sorry I didn't mean to cross the border but I was in hot pursuit of these PKK bad boys ," seems well within the range of the posible. What I cannot speak to is the reaction by the folks on the Iraqi side of the border. Given the amount of Turkish investment into the Iraqi Kurds' economy, there may be a lot of room for maneuver.