Thread: Turkey mainly, Iraq and the Kurds (2006-2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99
    McClatchy sees a problem between the Kurds and ING.....
    This thread is intended to host discussion and links regarding the broader issues of the Kurds in the region.

For discussion focused on issues between the Iraqi government and the Iraqi Kurds, please post in an appropriate thread, or create a new thread in the appropriate location.

Council Member

USIP, Apr 09: The Kurds in Syria: Fueling Separatist Movements in the Region?
    Summary

• Kurds in Syria have been denied basic social, cultural, and political rights, in many cases stemming from the Syrian state’s refusal to grant citizenship.

• Kurdish political opposition in Syria is fractured. Though some join Kurds in other countries in calling for the emergence of a separate Kurdish state, many Kurds reject separatism and have generally been committed to peaceful democratic struggle.

• Democratic reforms in Syria that improve the human rights situation for Kurds and non-Kurds could go a long way to alleviate the tension between the Kurds and the Syrian state.

• The problems that Syrian Kurds face cannot be truly solved without an effort both to improve the human rights of Kurds throughout the region and to foster their political inclusion in their states of residency.

• The United States and European Union should use any diplomatic tools at their disposal to promote appropriate reforms in Syria and the region.

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

I am a mean guy I reckon. I would have let Turkey bring troops into Iraq on condition that they have faught with our troops in the central triangle/Baghdad area. In exchange, from the getgo I would have insisted that Turkey have allowed original troop and material access into Iraq... and today Turkey should allow gradual withdrawals through Turkey.

All take and no give by Turkey is not acceptable to me.

We are in way over our heads in all these areas where ethnic divisions and conflicting claims of soverignty reach back hundreds... in the case of the Palestinians and Israel thousands of years old.

I am exhausted by the events and frictions. The Pakhtuns want a Pakhtunwana Land; the Kurds want Kurdistan; and the Palestinians want all of Israel back, which on it's face is absurd and impossible.

The Armenians in my book have the only valid claim and promise of independence/nationhood dating back to the end of WW I,

President Obama refused to keep his campaign promise and white washed his entier Armenian plan he ran on in his campaign when speaking to the Turkish Parliament this week.

Never mentioned the word "Armenian."

I am happy that Iran and Syria are "upset" over the Kurds. They need to be less arrogant and more humbly accomodating, but that will happen when you know where freezes over.

In Iraq, frankly, the Kurds are the most dependable and loyal allies for NATO and the US. But, they have to reign in cross border attacks into Turkey, which Turkey has every right to react to by return cross border fighting.

All a big circle going no where!
    Last edited by George L. Singleton; 04-08-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Council Member

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/eu...913883353.html

"Explosion kills soldiers in Turkey

At least nine soldiers have been killed and two others injured in a landmine blast in southeastern Turkey, a military commander has said.

The landmine, believed to have been planted by Kurdish fighters, exploded as a military vehicle was passing near the village of Abali in Diyarbakir province."

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by George L. Singleton View Post
    We are in way over our heads in all these areas where ethnic divisions and conflicting claims of soverignty reach back hundreds... in the case of the Palestinians and Israel thousands of years old.

I am exhausted by the events and frictions. The Pakhtuns want a Pakhtunwana Land; the Kurds want Kurdistan; and the Palestinians want all of Israel back, which on it's face is absurd and impossible.
    ... hmmmm... so we are all fighting over the same stuff we always did? Sadly this will come as a great surprise to a great many.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Mmm...

Yep......

Default Winds of change in Kurdistan?

An IISS Strategic Comment on the changes in Kurdistan:http://www.iiss.org/publications/str...aqi-kurdistan/
    davidbfpo