Thread: Turkey mainly, Iraq and the Kurds (2006-2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Much more at the link...
    Thanks for the link, Stan! Ambassador Wilson certainly seems to be able to say "I don't know" in so many, and varied, ways .
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Thanks for the link, Stan! Ambassador Wilson certainly seems to be able to say "I don't know" in so many, and varied, ways .
    Hey Marc !
    Ever been to Foggy Bottom for diplomatic training, or, at the very least, been around those that have graduated

I wished I could remember half the responses Tom had at country team meetings following "I don't know"
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hey Marc !
    Ever been to Foggy Bottom for diplomatic training, or, at the very least, been around those that have graduated

I wished I could remember half the responses Tom had at country team meetings following "I don't know"
    Hey Stan,

Nope, never hung around in FB, however, I do live in Ottawa... . As we used to say up here, "I'm really glad you raised that issue. My position on it is quite clear - it is important and we are studying it intensely... Next question?"
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

I'd have a hard time believing PKK (or Kongra Gel, or whatever they call themselves this week) were involved. Though listed on the terrorist watch list, they have been rumored by Seymour Hersh as recently as November as being supported by the US. There are 12 organizations Turkey considers as terrorist groups working within Turkey. Note number 8 at the link and the fact that Turkey has only listed them as a terrorist group within the last 3 years (note also that the EU didn't officially name Hezbollah as a terrorist organization until NOV 2005). This coincides with the same timeline Turkey has sought admission to the EU.

I think this was probably an outside resistance group that probably has no ties to the Kurdish movements, possibly the one listed above. It will be interesting to see what comes out in the coming days.
    Last edited by RTK; 07-10-2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
    Example is better than precept.

Council Member

Default Turkish Hizballah

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    I'd have a hard time believing PKK (or Kongra Gel, or whatever they call themselves this week) were involved. Though listed on the terrorist watch list, they have been rumored by Seymour Hersh as recently as November as being supported by the US. There are 12 organizations Turkey considers as terrorist groups working within Turkey. Note number 8 at the link and the fact that Turkey has only listed them as a terrorist group within the last 3 years (note also that the EU didn't officially name Hezbollah as a terrorist organization until NOV 2005). This coincides with the same timeline Turkey has sought admission to the EU.

I think this was probably an outside resistance group that probably has no ties to the Kurdish movements, possibly the one listed above. It will be interesting to see what comes out in the coming days.
    I think your second link is mislinked, since it also goes to Hersh's New Yorker article. I suspect it should go here.

It should be noted that Lebanese Hizballah and Turkish Hizballah are entirely different organizations—the former is Shi'ite, while the latter is a Sunni extremist group that originally grew, in part, as a reaction to the PKK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    I think your second link is mislinked, since it also goes to Hersh's New Yorker article. I suspect it should go here.

It should be noted that Lebanese Hizballah and Turkish Hizballah are entirely different organizations—the former is Shi'ite, while the latter is a Sunni extremist group that originally grew, in part, as a reaction to the PKK.
    I concur. Wasn't too clear on that part...

Link fixed and thanks for the clarification.

It appears it may have been #10 on the list linked above.