Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Dawn (Yes, The Movie) & Iraq

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by hostagecow View Post
    I've noticed recently that AMC has been replaying the classic eighties film "Red Dawn" directed by John Milius (the original screewriter for "Apocalypse Now.") The movie imagines America being conquered by the Soviets with the help of the Cubans. Most of the movie follows a rugged band of teenage American insurgents in Colorado. As I watched the film I was struck by how applicable it is to Iraq...the question I kept coming back to is this: If some foreign power came and occupied your land, killed your brother, incarcerated your father, would you take up arms against him? The answer is, of course you would.
    And if the foreign power didn't kill your brother or incarcerate your father? The Red Dawn narrative isn't just about Jed, Matt, Robert, and to a lesser extent Erica and Toni looking for revenge. There's Aardvark, Danny and especially Daryl. Then there's old man Mason. We'd have to take into account their motivations for resisting Soviet occupation as well as the bonds tying them to youths with extremely personal reasons for wanting to kill Russians. One thing for sure is tribal affiliation doesn't play much in societies were the individual or nuclear family forms the basic societal unit. If there's anything to Roger Petersen's conclusions relating tendency to resist to the density of a community's social network, then Western societies should be considerably easier to occupy pound for pound.

ARISE ZOMBIE THREAD......

I gotta say that I thought in Red Dawn the attempt to run up the Rockies cutting east and west and staying on the Western Slopes was an attempt to put the Russians into a situation likened to Afghanistan again.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Default juxtapositions

On a lighter note and back to the movie "Red Dawn" I have always been struck by the temporal juxtaposition of Patrick Swayze playing the leading role in "Dirty Dancing" while just a few years earlier playing the chief American wolverine insurgent in "Red Dawn." Sort of like the shift made by Jeff Daniels as Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg" to the idiot he played in "Dumb and Dumber."

Neither of these two juxtapositions have ever really set right with me; always get sort of discombobulated by them.

Am I the only one?

gian

Col. Gentile you are not the only one. A few of those character studies just elude me. I recently watched "Kin" with Patrick Swayzee as a friend of mine set up all the archery tackle used in the movie.. I never knew that an arrow would make make a person fly through the air like they'd been hit by a mortar round. I also didn't know that that Appalachia is next to Chicago, which is next to New Orleans. And the Patrick Swayzee character with pony tail was the epitome of a 1980's detective... Really? I guess that is why I never watch war movies, or cop movies.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Col. Gentile you are not the only one. A few of those character studies just elude me. I recently watched "Kin" with Patrick Swayzee as a friend of mine set up all the archery tackle used in the movie.. I never knew that an arrow would make make a person fly through the air like they'd been hit by a mortar round. I also didn't know that that Appalachia is next to Chicago, which is next to New Orleans. And the Patrick Swayzee character with pony tail was the epitome of a 1980's detective... Really? I guess that is why I never watch war movies, or cop movies.
    Now Sam to be accurate no modern bow leaves an arrow sticking in someone's chest; it passes through so quickly the target does not register a hit until the arrow is long gone.

But then again, look at all those explosive/incendiary bullets that spark everytime they hit anything.

Gian, I believe Jeff Daniels also played George Washington, did he not?
    And who can forget his role as the woman-pleasing vacumm salesman in "Super Sucker". There is a real oral connectrion between those two roles, given GW's dental problems and the real use of the super sucker attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gian P Gentile View Post
    On a lighter note and back to the movie "Red Dawn" I have always been struck by the temporal juxtaposition of Patrick Swayze playing the leading role in "Dirty Dancing" while just a few years earlier playing the chief American wolverine insurgent in "Red Dawn." Sort of like the shift made by Jeff Daniels as Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg" to the idiot he played in "Dumb and Dumber."

Neither of these two juxtapositions have ever really set right with me; always get sort of discombobulated by them.

Am I the only one?

gian
    Col. Gentile,

Another fine demonstration of the venerable Patrick Swayze's acting versatility is the juxtaposition of 1989's Road House to 1990's Ghost.

In Road House Swayze plays James Dalton, a zen-like bouncer par excellence hired to pacify the unruly Double Deuce nightclub of Jasper, Missouri. What ensues is a story of socioeconomic class struggle in the American heartland, complimented by generous portions of blues guitar riffs and ass-kicking.

Similarly, Ghost is a tender love story where Swayze plays Sam Wheat. Sam is a loving husband brutally murdered and left on earth as a ghost to warn his wife of her impending danger. However, Sam can only communicate to his wife through a psychic played by a sassy Whoopi Goldberg, tenderness and hilarity ensues.

The best part of Red Dawn is when the Air-force Col. is briefing the kids on what happened and how the war started. "Jed" asked the Col. "who is on our side?" The Col. replied "1 billion screaming Chinese." Another kid then says "last I heard there were 2 billion screaming Chinese?" The Col. then replied "THERE WAS" and then dumped his alcohol on the fire causing a big flame to shoot up.

Now, that's hardcore.
    "Politics are too important to leave to the politicians"

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzel View Post
    The best part of Red Dawn is when the Air-force Col. is briefing the kids on what happened and how the war started. "Jed" asked the Col. "who is on our side?" The Col. replied "1 billion screaming Chinese." Another kid then says "last I heard there were 2 billion screaming Chinese?" The Col. then replied "THERE WAS" and then dumped his alcohol on the fire causing a big flame to shoot up.

Now, that's hardcore.
    That's a waste of good booze.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gian P Gentile View Post

Am I the only one?

gian
    Think that's bad. Check out "To Wong Foo..." Wesley Snipes and Swayze in drag. Then there's Schwarzenegger's weird hops between James Cameron and Danny Devito.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
    ....Then there's Schwarzenegger's weird hops between James Cameron and Danny Devito.

Too, too funny!!!

I guess one should not overthink such things and accept it all as just "art."

gian

That's a waste of good booze.
    There's another good part of the movie that includes booze. After the "insurgents" raided the re-education camp, they were escaping on the back of a truck, at which time the Col. yelled "DasVidanya" while holding up a bottle of booze.

That too, is hardcore.

Council Member

Not hardcore. Hokey. In my personal, biased opinion, of course. For a better '80s schlocky war flick try The Beast, about the Ruskie tank crew which gets cut off from their unit after an assault on village and tries to find their way back through muj country.

The Beast - Act 1

But "hardcore"? Try the scene at the beginning of Attack Force Z (another '80s war flick - but set in WWII Pacific theater) when one of the good guys injuries his leg and can't keep up - so his buddies have to kill him and conceal his corpse before carrying on with the mission. This is also the only movie I've seen where they actually fire the ol' M3 grease gun (suppressed) with its flimsy wire stock extended, from the shoulder, with controlled short bursts.

For your "juxtaposition" entertainment, take a look at a very young Mel Gibson in this movie as a cherry officer who makes some very serious errors of judgment, as opposed to his later action roles. Kind'a like young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates when he gets slapped around and intimidated in the bar in one of the Rawhide episodes - a bit strange after you've seen him take on all comers in his later westerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    Not hardcore. Hokey. In my personal, biased opinion, of course. For a better '80s schlocky war flick try The Beast, about the Ruskie tank crew which gets cut off from their unit after an assault on village and tries to find their way back through muj country.

The Beast - Act 1

But "hardcore"? Try the scene at the beginning of Attack Force Z (another '80s war flick - but set in WWII Pacific theater) when one of the good guys injuries his leg and can't keep up - so his buddies have to kill him and conceal his corpse before carrying on with the mission. This is also the only movie I've seen where they actually fire the ol' M3 grease gun (suppressed) with its flimsy wire stock extended, from the shoulder, with controlled short bursts.

For your "juxtaposition" entertainment, take a look at a very young Mel Gibson in this movie as a cherry officer who makes some very serious errors of judgment, as opposed to his later action roles. Kind'a like young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates when he gets slapped around and intimidated in the bar in one of the Rawhide episodes - a bit strange after you've seen him take on all comers in his later westerns.
    I know its Hokey, its a joke. Its cheesy too, but entertaining at the same time. All 80's action films are Hokey, but I can't help liking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    But "hardcore"? Try the scene at the beginning of Attack Force Z (another '80s war flick - but set in WWII Pacific theater) when one of the good guys injuries his leg and can't keep up - so his buddies have to kill him and conceal his corpse before carrying on with the mission. .
    For the granddaddy of Hardcore, check out the last scene in the 1943 flick BATAAN
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0035664/
    where SGT Dane is the last man standing in his ad-hoc squad, holding off the Japs first with his drum-fed Thompson and then the watercooled Browning.
    He's screaming at them with his finger on the trigger as the camera fades to black...

Roll end credits.

As I recall, Red Dawn also dealt with some pretty serious stuff, such as Patrick Swayze executing one of his friends for swallowing a transmitter after being turned into the Soviets by his own father.
    "I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds people live their lives under Imperial rule without ever seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."
    ―Captain Thrawn

ARISE ZOMBIE THREAD......

I gotta say that I thought in Red Dawn the attempt to run up the Rockies cutting east and west and staying on the Western Slopes was an attempt to put the Russians into a situation likened to Afghanistan again.
    Without Beijing even uttering a critical word, MGM is changing the villains in its 'Red Dawn' remake from Chinese to North Korean. It's all about maintaining access to the Asian superpower's lucrative box office.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,995726.story
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg