Yes, many of the mil to civ transitions aren't deployable -- and most of them do not need to be. Those that should be deployable positions simply shouldn't be converted. Unfortunately, human stupidity and cupidity are facts of life and some slip through. We haven't done this (deploy) since the civilianization started in until 2002 (the Balkan effort doesn't really count on the basis of size) so we're learning what works and doesn't work. It'll mostly get fixed.

Depends on the job; if it's one that should be deployable, I agree with you. OTOH, if it's the Resource Manager at Ft. Benning, the Facilities Engineer at Camp LeJeune, the Depot Manager at Hill AFB or the Chief Marine Engineer at Bremerton NSY, a training material writer at Ft. Knox or a Mess Sergeant in 13 Area at Pendleton, I don't agree. Not only are the services in those cases getting a cheaper employee -- and, far more importantly freeing up a senior position to serve in the field -- they're getting considerable expertise in the process. You point is well made, some jobs do require experience over youth -- on both sides of the fence. Better the experience be employed on the field side as opposed to a job any any competent civilian could do.

I prefer not to look at John Nagl's Advisor Corps proposal if that's okay. I like his book, I liked his appearance on Cherlie Rose and I respect him a great deal. I just strongly disagree with the Advisor Corps approach not least because it is too rank heavy but on many other grounds. Probably mostly because it ain't gonna happen (Hmm. Possible bad statement; we continually prove we can implement ideas that are not smart...).

First make the landlord fix the elevators...

Then destroy the building.

And disestablish the Human Resources Command. Shy Meyer tried and they just bureaucratically waited him out; now they're in the forefront of the square wheel reinventers...