A couple of comments...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by leasing with Civil Service. While I'm certainly aware of a number of problems with the system, I do know that, mostly, it works.
My comment on "leasing" is based on the increased use of Title X and the impending NSPS transition. Couple this with the lack of being able to deploy many of the civilians based on position descriptions... the result is that many of the military to civilian conversions don't give you the same flexibility to deploy or move to support the war.

Mandatory retirements aren't all that bad, age does have penalties for all. While some can be productive after the nominal mandatory date, on balance, most are ready to go or need to -- even if they don't realize it. It's a young persons game...
Agree that it's a young person's game, but... it doesn't make sense to have someone do a mandatory retirement and then show up the next day to do the same job. Some jobs require experience over youth...

If there's a grade problem, it is overgrading across the board.
In some ways, but if you look at John Nagl's Advisor Corps proposal, it's rank heavy for a reason...

...my standing advice to all Army Officers; when you get to be Chief of Staff, destroy the Hoffman Building...
Hey, you can't do that! We don't own the building -- it's leased.