Thread: Georgia's South Ossetia Conflict - Political Commentary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

reed11b asked:

What am I missing?
    The covering of conflict by Western and Russian media has been very poor. Biased. If we talk about the beginning of attack, I have seen only 1 scene that shows Grad shooting in the middle of darkness. Russian TV says that this is Georgian one. Maybe this is Russian one or Ossetian one? Should we call NSA?

Due to the cyber attack Georgian MFA is sprading their info via blog and not their official site.

http://georgiamfa.blogspot.com/

Council Member

Default Never to miss printing an eye catching headline ...

here is the Times' crystal ball

From The Sunday Times
    August 10, 2008

‘Bodies are lying everywhere. It’s hell’

Mark Franchetti, Moscow
    Why does South Ossetia want to break away?

Most of its people speak their own language and feel closer to the Russians than the Georgians. They say they were absorbed into Georgia after the fall of the old Soviet Union. The 70,000 South Ossetians want independence – just like Kosovo, the breakaway Serbian province.

Why are the Georgians so upset about South Ossetia?

Because they see it as a Russian outpost funded largely from Moscow, and where most people carry Russian passports.

Why has Georgia’s president chosen to raise the issue now?

Because he thought everyone was focused on the Olympics and the Russians would hesitate to respond with force.

Why has Russia been willing to go to war?

The Kremlin is angry about western, particularly American military support for Georgia, its desire to join Nato and US plans for a missile defence shield in Europe.

Will anyone else intervene?

Unlikely, western armies are busy and the prospect of taking on Russia is not enticing.

What happens next?

The Georgians will back down looking like the bad guys. Both sides will go back to hating each other. Result: Russia 1, Georgia 0.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4493620.ece

Based on the CNN interview of Georgia's president (about an hour ago), the Times' end result may have some validity. He mentioned Czech 1968; I was thinking Hungary 1956 (when VOA & RFE made very sad listening).

PS:

from Wildcat
    I knew I should have studied Russian in college...
    I did (2 yrs), but 45 years ago. The month before 2nd year ended, our prof handed out a little Russian book (2nd grade reader), saying: "Now, for the rest of the course, you will learn how little Russian you know."

Helps to transliterate the Cyrillic and read Fuch's useful map - beyond that, I'm hopeless.