Thread: Georgia's South Ossetia Conflict - Political Commentary

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In other venues, I have heard/read it suggested that US allowed the Georgians to push the envelop in order to get other Russian neigbors (like Poland) "off the dime" about supporting US defense plans in Eastern Europe (missile defense)--sort of the foreign policy version of "scared straight." Interesting theory but I have a tough time believing that the US is capable of that level of Byzantine foreign policy.
    It's not that I don't think America is capable of taking advantage of those kinds of situations (which we clearly did), but I do not think we have that kind of institutional foresight in regards to policy to actually instigate it. My experiences with government work so far tell me that we kind of just make up things along the way. But that at least gives us the flexibility to see a good opportunity when it knocks on our door.
    Last edited by AmericanPride; 08-15-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot