Thread: Economic Warfare Strategy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Economic Warfare Strategy

Rob,

I like to start by providing a link to an important research story "From the Horse's Mouth: Unraveling Al Qaida's Target Selection Calculus"

http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/week/070417.htm

Such an analysis of what al-Qa`ida tells the world—and, most importantly, what it instructs its recruits and would-be cell members—indicates that al-Qa`ida's target selection calculus is motivated by a far more ambitious, sophisticated and sinister motive: to destroy the economy of the United States and other Western powers by striking economic targets in the West and in the Muslim world. The network asserts that doing so curtails the American presence and influence in the Middle East and will end Western military and diplomatic support to regimes in the region. This ambition serves the final objective of severing American and Muslim alliances and bringing about the removal of all Western influence from the Middle East, as well as the overthrow of current Muslim regimes.

The calculus of primarily attacking western targets of significant economic value is bluntly discussed in al-Qa`ida's political publications which aim to "educate" the Muslim world about al-Qa`ida's objectives and methods. These publications elaborate in sinister detail the network's intention to empower individual cell members with the training and skills required to sustain al-Qa`ida's global Jihad.
    This well researched article clarifies beyond dispute (in my opinion) that Al Qaeda has an overarching strategy based on economic warfare that we as a nation have yet to grasp, and even worse we act like an Al Qaeda patsy by supporting his strategy with our predictable, large, expensive, and ineffective responses to Al Qaeda attacks. Looking at it from an economic view point, it is as though Al Qaeda cuts us once, then we cut ourselves a thousand times reacting (or potentially over reacting). The article explains their effects based strategy clearly, and paraphrasing one example, the explain that if we attack one airport the enemy is obligated to spend millions/billions of dollars protecting all airports, not just in the west, but worldwide. This makes me wonder if the failed plot to blow up 11 planes in the UK was truly a failure, since the reaction was the same as had the plot been successful. Once the terrorist place a bomb in one mall, what will our response be? Federal laws mandating added security measures in every mall? Who will pay for that?

Our challenge is to find ways to effectively counter this strategy, but the equation is hard to defeat. As Robb stated in his book there are significant economic asymmetries. The one example he gave that I recall is an attack on an Iraqi pipeline that probably cost around $2,000.00 to execute, but resulting in a loss of $250 million in revenue. When they export these tactics to the West the economic asymmetry will be significantly worse. The challenge is to develop "cost effective" defenses, but I'm not sure that is even possible at this time.
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 06-11-2007 at 04:47 PM.