Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Granite

This is speculation and nothing more:

I think AQ has succeeded in drawing us into the Middle East and that was their organization's #1 goal from the start. It allowed for them to attack us with greater ease and support - they live in the region and don't need to send people into a foreign culture. If OBL really believes that he can bankrupt the US, he's done a good job for the last 6 years. We're spending well over half a trillion dollars a year on the military, and all of that is deficit spending. It'll have to be repaid by you, me, and our children one day.

I also think they haven't attacked here in the US because it would give political support to Bush and Co. I remember reading an article about the 04 elections, and there were a few quotes from CIA analysts stating that the Bush victory was exactly what OBL and AQ wanted. I suspect that they are waiting until after the 08 elections to see who is the next President, and then they will rewrite their strategies.

Finally, getting us into Iraq solidified the belief in many Arab's minds that the US is just another Western imperialist power, and we are to be resisted. It's one hell of a propaganda tool.

The SITTEMP that Bill Moore describes is also my biggest fear - but I think AQ is more than satisified with how the last 6 years have gone.
Your speculation makes perfect sense, Bin Laden wanted us to bleed ourselves dry like the Soviets, just predicted the wrong country. But as well as things have gone for Al Qaeda in Iraq (more their ideology than their fighters), doesn't it make sense to attack us at home at the same time?

And not sure I get your political point, if they wanted Bush to win, then attacking, and giving further support to this administration as a result, seems like the right play.