Thread: Will Our Broken Public Affairs Office Lose Iraq for Us?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default About the second half...

Bill,
    Your reply is much appreciated. Certainly didn't mean to make you backtrack over ground already taken. Points understood on the WMD and denial of an insurgency relating to the view of trust and competence at the highest levels. Since the top got us into the PR problem, maybe they're the only ones who can get us out, given the current level of drive coming from the white house?
    I too have hopes that the elections and will of the Iraqi people will help drive opinion here and provide the ray of hope for those here who don't see it. (Overall I found Iraqi's quite capable of handling their own affairs when they decided to and it looks like they've decided to).

From your posts in other threads, you (and several others) obviously have a good grasp of Small Wars doctrine and history. (Would mention Major Strickland as well, but I served with him and know that to do so would only expand his ego to levels dangerous to himself ). So, as to the second half of my original posting, I would really value your thoughts and the thoughts of others.

Is the Public Affairs Office broken? Or in light of your previous reply, maybe it's irrelevant if public opinion will be focused on the White House alone?
    My experience since returning is that opinions can be swayed by what's happening on the ground as much as what's happening in D.C. I've converted doubters. I know that we can certainly buffer or counter bad news if we're out here doing a good job of telling the good news. So I keep wondering how we can do a better job at the Pentagon level of getting out all the good news stories our warriors have to tell?

Are we ready, set up and prepared to handle a press which is always going to be ready to jump on every misstep, whether incredibly large or small, and prevent erosion of support which is definitely harder to maintain in Small Wars?
    Last edited by Brian B; 12-18-2005 at 02:44 PM.