Thread: The Indian role in Afghanistan (new title)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    I am in the Philippines. Your offer is kind, but unnecessary. I am aware of the issues of Muslims in my parts.
    I am sure you are aware, but then it is different when you live amongst them - not the handful representation, but as a community almost equal in numbers.

Mindanao, Palawan and the Sulu Archipelago are where the Moros are active. How frequent are their bombings/ suicide attacks elsewhere?

I am aware of the value of experience. I've not been up close to a bombing. I have observed both insurgency and counterinsurgency at close range... of the sloppy sort, devoid of such polite constructs as rules of engagement and consideration of human rights.

It is rarely wise to make assumptions about what others need explained, or what they have or have not experienced. I've noticed that this is particularly the case on SWJ, where the range of experience and knowledge is at times surprising.
    The vast experience and knowledge that one experiences here is what attracts me to the SWJ.

However, that in no way should inhibit anyone of stating what he has to say including trying to explain one's point of view, in case one feels that the other has not quite got the point one is trying to make.

I, for one, would read posts of those who have been in Iraq and in combat. Their experience would be of immense value to me. Yet, I will ask them many a pointed questions, so that I could compare the same with the experience we are having out here. I would not dismiss their views perfunctorily.

That the Afghan insurgency would not be a totally new experience for Indians is what I was stating. It sure will be a new experience for any Westerner. The psyche and ethos is totally different. It is not so for the Indian, even the insurgency modes, since we have seen it applied in Kashmir for many years.

I still believe that an Indian effort in Afghanistan would get "much encouragement and little help", in large part because involvement in places like Afghanistan increases, rather than reduces, risk of terror attack. Exactly what sort of help do you think India would have, and from whom?
    You are entitled to your opinion. I merely gave mine.

Terror attacks is the staple of insurgency and terrorism. If one has to fight them, then one has to take the risk. I think because the Indian soldier has gone through years of insurgency from the NE to Kashmir, he has become impervious to the risks involved. He is aware of the risk, but he has become a fatalist.

I, myself, am off to Kashmir to an insurgency active area, if the permission comes through. Many think it is foolish, since I am not longer active. But then, the thrill to be back where the action is, is what makes one go for it!

As for the type of help, it will depend on the situation prevailing prior to any change of responsibility. From whom? Those that supported the Northern Alliance and it cannot be that it will be an Indian show alone.

And what would India mean to do there that is any different from the US purpose?
    I thought I was explaining that all along.

In short. approach the issue in a low tech way, allow them to govern themselves the way they have been doing through centuries and have projects that have small gestation time. Once, the confidence has been built, then go in for high end projects.

I don't suppose Pakistanis would be terribly delighted at an Indian presence in Afghanistan. I do expect, though, that the Pak Army/ISI crowd would be absolutely delighted to see India try to take over from the US. What could be better for them than to have their great enemy positioned for the slow bleed, a strategy at which they have long practice? On what other battlefield could Pakistan have reasonable hope of defeating India?
    That Pakistan will not be delighted is obvious.

India is already being bled by their policy of a 1000 cuts.

If Pakistan were to be delighted to have India in Afghanistan and do another 1000 cuts, then why are they hell bent that India does not even undertake non military tasks such as re-construction?

I don't think Pakistan has any chance of defeating India or India defeating Pakistan. I have explained the rationale earlier.

That sounds a fairly ambitious assumption. Have you any evidence to suggest that it would be so, other than wishing it so?
    Have you any evidence to suggest it otherwise?

You seem very confident that you could do it better. An easy thing to believe, from the sidelines. I hope for India's sake that you don't decide to try it out, as I suspect you'd find the reality less congenial than the theory.
    Confidence is the first step to success. Approaching any problem with a half hearted resolve can never help.

I am no one to decide what should be tried. It is for the Govt of India to take the call.

No insurgency is congenial. It is not through theory I speak but having been for about 37 years in various forms of insurgency and in various states of intensity.

The fact that has to be understood is that the common soldier anywhere, be he an American or an Indian, is a brave man and he is ready to rough it out for his Country and his Flag. Success is dependant, not only on the soldier, but more so on the Planners be they in or not in uniform.

You can hear as much nonsense as you choose to listen to from US commentators.

No US President can allow an attack on US soil to pass without a direct attempt to attack those responsible. It is politically unacceptable. Bush had to attack Afghanistan. Not much point in it beyond revenge, no economic or strategic advantage to be gained, enormous risk and expense... but domestic politics forced it. Sticking around, was, IMO, a huge mistake, as it exposed us to all the cost and risk for no real gain, but it was done, also largely for domestic political reasons.

A very different set of reasons, and IMO a very bad set of reasons, though still closely linked to domestic politics. It is very difficult to explain American political decision-making to non-Americans, and truthful explanations often seem quite illogical to those not steeped in the oddities of US domestic politics. The West's misunderstanding of the East is often equaled or exceeded by the East's misunderstanding of the US.
    I am aware that Bush had to attack Afghanistan. I do not dispute that.

However, do explain that if Afghanistan was for revenge, did the US achieve it? If they did not, then why did they swing to Iraq without feeding their revenge? This issue you have failed to answer.

I am not aware that Saddam also was a kingpin in the 9/11 carnage.

People believe all sorts of silly things about the hands that feed them. Are you familiar with the political writings Noam Chomsky? There are many other examples...
    Yes I am familiar with Chomsky, but I am not totally impressed by his views, even though he is taken to be an intellectual by some.

Have you read The Great Deception by NM Ahmed. I assure you that you, if you are an American, you would not be able to go through the first few pages itself. It took me immense patience to go through the book.
    Last edited by Ray; 05-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Council Member

India left standing in Afghan musical chairs
    By Peter Lee

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/ME21Df01.html
    Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.
    John Allen Paulos

As I said it is the GoI's call.

And on another thread I spoke of Indian timidity, which was hotly contested!

Compare the Indian mindset with that of Pakistan, which has overcome all odds against them including international scorn and ridicule.

And you will realise that I was not totally incorrect when I gave the rationale for Indian timidity.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-23-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Cited text in quotes

Default Missing or overlooked facts or factors

I'd missed the fact that the Indian Prime Minister visited Kabul days after the OBL raid, yes a scheduled visit.

This column is perhaps a shade optimistic on how to get better Indo-Pak relations via the civil sector, but worth a read:http://www.sunday-guardian.com/analy...-ties-with-pak

Something we may miss, unless watching closely is:
    We should also study India's "South Asia Terrorism Portal" on comparative terrorism data. Pakistan experienced 10,268 civilian deaths between 2003 and 2011 because of religious bigotry or terrorism. During the same period, India suffered 7,744 civilian deaths that included 1,829 fatalities caused by Maoist violence.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

On the Indian PM's visit to Afghanistan.

Comments from the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (an Indian think tank)

Unlike in Pakistan, Osama’s killing has been welcomed in Afghanistan. President Hamid Karzai described the killing of Osama as “punishment for his deeds” and, without directly mentioning Pakistan, he reiterated that “the fight against terrorism is not in Afghanistan’s villages” or “in the houses of poor and oppressed Afghans,” but rather it “is in its sanctuaries, in its training camps and its finance centres.” However, other Afghan leaders were more explicit in their criticism of Pakistan’s role in hiding Osama for almost a decade......

President Karzai has initiated moves to reconcile with the Taliban, but these have not made much headway. India remains concerned at reconciliation with the Taliban and their possible return to power in Kabul. Interestingly, there are deep concerns within Afghanistan as well on the possibility of a deal with the Taliban.....

or the moment there is not much scope for a regional initiative in Afghanistan, although India remains in favour of it. Pakistan, on the contrary, is looking to enhance its influence in Afghanistan as the Western troop withdrawal begins. In April, Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani and Army Chief General Pervez Ashfaq Kayani visited Kabul for discussions with President Karzai and his government. The two sides agreed to establish a two-tier joint commission to cooperate with each other on reconciliation-related issues.......

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Kabul is meant to reassure President Karzai of India’s sustained support. However, the underlying message of the visit is to convey to Pakistan, the US and the others that India has strategic interests in Afghanistan. Prime Minister Singh will buttress this message by assuring sustained engagement and further enhancement of Indian aid to Afghanistan. India has taken a bold step to enhance its relevance in Afghanistan.
    Very muted.

What is the bold step that Indian has to take to stay relevant in Afghanistan?

Is the present Indian Govt up to it?

http://www.idsa.in/node/7462/3043

Maybe if Omarali could link B Raman's (an analyst) article from where he came to the conclusion that the right wing in India has lost its narratives and that the Indian GHQ was not in this world, maybe a better analysis of the options could be done.
    Last edited by Ray; 05-23-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    What is the bold step that Indian has to take to stay relevant in Afghanistan?

Is the present Indian Govt up to it?
    Possibly the Indian Government believes that the risks and costs of "staying relevant in Afghanistan" exceed the benefits? Is that timidity or common sense?

Mindanao, Palawan and the Sulu Archipelago are where the Moros are active. How frequent are their bombings/ suicide attacks elsewhere?
    Actually there's very little activity on Palawan, and bombings/suicide attacks aren't the tactics of choice for the primary insurgent groups.

That the Afghan insurgency would not be a totally new experience for Indians is what I was stating. It sure will be a new experience for any Westerner. The psyche and ethos is totally different. It is not so for the Indian, even the insurgency modes, since we have seen it applied in Kashmir for many years.
    Does India's logistic support for its forces in Kashmir have to pass through Iran? Just one difference among many. You may of course do as you will, but I would hesitate to assume that the two cases will be similar.

As for the type of help, it will depend on the situation prevailing prior to any change of responsibility. From whom? Those that supported the Northern Alliance and it cannot be that it will be an Indian show alone.
    What you expect and what you get can be very different. Unwise to assume that you will have substantial assistance from others. If it comes, wonderful, but if you're going to take on that role the basis of planning should be that you will act alone. The world being what it is, the contributions of others are likely to be token and ephemeral.

I thought I was explaining that all along.

In short. approach the issue in a low tech way, allow them to govern themselves the way they have been doing through centuries and have projects that have small gestation time. Once, the confidence has been built, then go in for high end projects.
    You are describing method; my statement referred to purpose. The purpose of the intervention you describe is identical to the American purpose: install or maintain a government that suits the interests of the intervening power. Many of the subsequent issues derive not from method, but from that purpose.

If we'll discuss method, I suspect that you place far too much faith in the capacity of aid projects to resolve insurgency, but I've said that before.

If Pakistan were to be delighted to have India in Afghanistan and do another 1000 cuts, then why are they hell bent that India does not even undertake non military tasks such as re-construction?
    Of course the Pakistanis will vocally and vehemently object to any Indian presence in Afghanistan. That's part of the charade, and it doesn't mean that Pak GHQ wouldn't be quite happy to have the ability to target Indian forces by proxy, in a position where the Indians are out on a limb with a shaky supply route and occupying a largely hostile territory. It's the sort of place one like to see one's antagonist. The US objected strenuously to the Soviet presence in Afghanistan, but in the long run they were able to use that situation to weaken their adversary fatally. Why wouldn't Pakistan secretly welcome the opportunity to do the same to India?

I don't think Pakistan has any chance of defeating India or India defeating Pakistan. I have explained the rationale earlier.
    Certainly there is a possibility that Pakistan could force India to withdraw from Afghanistan without achieving their objectives, if India were to take over the effort to "stabilize" Afghanistan. That would constitute a defeat, not defeat on an absolute scale, but a defeat nonetheless.

The question is whether the benefit to India of trying to stabilize Afghanistan justifies taking that risk.

Have you any evidence to suggest it otherwise?
    The evidence would lie in the experience of everyone who has ever tried to occupy and pacify Afghanistan. Sure, maybe they were all just doing it wrong, and if you do it right it will be a cakewalk... but are you prepared to go in with that assumption?

Confidence is the first step to success. Approaching any problem with a half hearted resolve can never help.
    A blunt and realistic assessment of the challenge is also critical to success. It is easy for will to evaporate when a task proves harder than expected. Better to assume the worst... political will never becomes a problem when a task proves easier than expected.

No insurgency is congenial. It is not through theory I speak but having been for about 37 years in various forms of insurgency and in various states of intensity.
    That is why you shouldn't fight insurgencies unless you have to. Do you have to? Why repeat the US mistake and enter a war of choice against a notoriously intractable insurgency?

However, do explain that if Afghanistan was for revenge, did the US achieve it? If they did not, then why did they swing to Iraq without feeding their revenge? This issue you have failed to answer.

I am not aware that Saddam also was a kingpin in the 9/11 carnage.
    Iraq, as I said, involved a whole different set of reasons and decisions, one with no direct relevance to this thread... and if anything this discussion needs more focus, not less.
    Last edited by Dayuhan; 05-24-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Council Member

Possibly the Indian Government believes that the risks and costs of "staying relevant in Afghanistan" exceed the benefits? Is that timidity or common sense?
    I believe Einstein had said 'Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen'.

The Indian Government has had no Minister (except one Major of post independence vintage and one Prince who was a TA officer) with military service and hence find petrified at the thought of armed conflicts.

The economist in the PM can only calculate the Rupees and Paisas and yet he still comes a cropper!

Therefore, is it common sense or sheer timidity?

The manner in which India is being bled by Pakistan and Indian Govt remains a docile spectator spewing pious platitudes is a sign of common sense or sheer timidity and paralysis to face the reality?

It requires the US courts and enforcement agencies to ferret out the ISI connection to the Mumbai blast instead of getting its act together on its own, is that common sense or timidity?

Given the way this Govt is performing, maybe they will follow your line of thought of staying out of 'harm's way' and tomtom it as 'common sense' and let Indian strategic and economic interests be sold out!!

Take the occupation of Tibet. In 1950s, China was preoccupied with the US in Korea and yet our pacifist Prime Minister, the world acclaimed leader, Jawaharlal Nehru, sold out the Tibetans to the Chinese and a part of India too!!

Some may call it 'common sense' and some would contest that it is not timidity as was stated in another thread.

I, for one, would construe this pacifism that yields no result but sells off Indian interests as timidity (I could have used stronger terms, but for the sake of decency, am giving it the go by).

It is time to take stock and not merely go by the Biblical injunction - And unto him that smiteth thee on the [one] cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not [to take thy] coat also. (Luke 6:29 )

Actually there's very little activity on Palawan, and bombings/suicide attacks aren't the tactics of choice for the primary insurgent groups.
    From open sources, it appear that the United States has provided the Philippines with military "advisers" to support its campaign against al Qaeda linked Abu Sayyaf.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ilippines.html

I take it that AQ tactics depends heavily on suicide bombers and their like.

However, you would be the best judge.

Does India's logistic support for its forces in Kashmir have to pass through Iran? Just one difference among many. You may of course do as you will, but I would hesitate to assume that the two cases will be similar.
    The issue to which you have answered was the psyche and ethos, where I had stated that Indians were conversant with the Afghan psyche and ethos, unlike the Westerner.

Therefore, the logistic support issue is not understood.

Notwithstanding, it is obvious that the logistic support to Kashmir does not cross Iran.

However, to assume that going through Iran is something insurmountable and dangerous would not be a correct analysis.

What exactly would be the problems of the Iran logistic route that would deter the use?

The logistic support was not safe in the formative days, but now that there is no disturbance to the logistic support, does speaks volumes as to the success of the Indian Army and the Govt in controlling foreign supported insurgency to a real low intensity.

In fact, it is only today, the Hurriyat (the Pak supported pressure group and pro terrorist organisation) has called for the Hurriyat themselves to parley with the Govt of India rather than the Govt always asking them to come for talks!!

Hurriyat leader prod for talks

Srinagar, May 23: A senior leader of the moderate Hurriyat faction has asked the group to offer talks to New Delhi and not wait for an invite, a proposal that amounts to an about-turn from the separatists’ traditional stand.
    http://www.telegraphindia.com/111052...y_14022345.jsp
    What you expect and what you get can be very different. Unwise to assume that you will have substantial assistance from others. If it comes, wonderful, but if you're going to take on that role the basis of planning should be that you will act alone. The world being what it is, the contributions of others are likely to be token and ephemeral.
    One makes assumptions.

Then closer to time, the assumptions are tested for its credibility based on the interaction and the environment.

Plans are based on assumptions since one cannot predict the outcome in minute details. Therefore, one has contingencies also cranked in

For instance, in a battle one may have a brilliant plan, but once it is launched, there has to be flexibility to cater for the situations arising. The one who has the contingency catered for, wins.

While it is correct that contributions are likely to be token and ephemeral, one would not embark on a dangerous mission merely on promises.

Council Member

You are describing method; my statement referred to purpose. The purpose of the intervention you describe is identical to the American purpose: install or maintain a government that suits the interests of the intervening power. Many of the subsequent issues derive not from method, but from that purpose.
    Out of the Purpose evolves the Method.

I believe the United States’ “goal in Afghanistan is to deny safe haven to al Qaeda and to deny the Taliban the ability to overthrow the Afghan government.”
    http://www.lanaturnerjournal.com/onl...973caebf11ebe2

I think that would be the purpose of anyone operating in Afghanistan.

My comments were in reply to your contention of it being cost prohibitive for India.

Afghanistan is costly because the win ability is based on a high tech and so high cost method. Terrorists are like protoplasm. They recreate themselves out of the debris of collateral damage caused by air attacks and artillery and other area weapons (all of which is costly in terms of finance). They also believe in Revenge.

Afghans have the warrior instinct. But it would be wrong to assume that they are dolts and blood thirsty beyond reason. Limit their justification for 'Revenge' and the it becomes a better win-able situation.

A low cost approach along with the projection of 'soft power' will not be that expensive, except maybe in terms of casualties.

Merely to state a purpose and not have a compatible method that suits the environment would possibly not give the correct and desirable result.

If we'll discuss method, I suspect that you place far too much faith in the capacity of aid projects to resolve insurgency, but I've said that before.
    Maybe I do place faith in aid projects. If one has aid projects that are visible (in a short span of time) in giving results to the common man, I presume it will have its affect. It has worked in our insurgencies. It will not resolve the insurgencies as such, but would work to wean away the recruiting base to a great degree.

For instance, if I may give an example. In Kashmir, the Indian Army would build projects for local use. They would use them but not really care for them since they knew that if the item fell apart from disuse or terrorist action, because of their 'blackmail' power, it would be rebuilt by the army. When we told them that we would give the material but they would have to build it themselves, there was immense dissatisfaction from not only their ranks, but also from our superior HQs.

Notwithstanding, we made them build their own (it was a mosque). They ensured that it stood, come hail or high water or terrorist. Possibly because it was their labour of love and possibly because if it was destroyed, they themselves would have to build it again!! Bottom line learnt from the Americans - there is no such thing as a Free Lunch!!

It worked.

Of course the Pakistanis will vocally and vehemently object to any Indian presence in Afghanistan. That's part of the charade, and it doesn't mean that Pak GHQ wouldn't be quite happy to have the ability to target Indian forces by proxy, in a position where the Indians are out on a limb with a shaky supply route and occupying a largely hostile territory. It's the sort of place one like to see one's antagonist. The US objected strenuously to the Soviet presence in Afghanistan, but in the long run they were able to use that situation to weaken their adversary fatally. Why wouldn't Pakistan secretly welcome the opportunity to do the same to India?
    You base your assumptions on (a) a shaky supply route and (b) largely hostile territory.

Now, what makes one conclude the supply route to be shaky? I see that it is fraught with the same dangers as it would be in any insurgency and not something extraordinarily different. However, if you could point out the dangers that I have not seen, it would help.

It is wrong to assume that Indians face a hostile Afghan environment. It does not. In fact, Indians are not taken as interlopers.

The casualties Indians have faced in their various projects should be an indicator. The casualties that have occurred are based on Pakistan guided activities since the Indian presence to make a positive contribution, while Pakistan embarked on destruction, has Pakistan worried.

A very marginal ITBF (paramilitary) presence protect the workers from attacks.

It is worth noting if Pakistan has made any effort to reconstruct the war torn Afghanistan.

Afghans can be labelled to be anything, but they are not blind!

Certainly there is a possibility that Pakistan could force India to withdraw from Afghanistan without achieving their objectives, if India were to take over the effort to "stabilize" Afghanistan. That would constitute a defeat, not defeat on an absolute scale, but a defeat nonetheless.

The question is whether the benefit to India of trying to stabilize Afghanistan justifies taking that risk.
    If India is in Afghanistan,(Big IF) then I wonder if Pakistan can make India withdraw.

Let us look at it another way on the issue of 'stabilisation'.

How many Western troops are involved in UN military missions? Where are the troops coming from?

Would the UN military missions be successful without the backing (moral and financial) of those powers who are interested in bringing peace through these UN Mission?

Who finally benefits when peace (or quasi peace) is brought through these UN Missions? Obviously those nations which can invest in the nations where peace or quasi peace is obtained.

There lies the 'usefulness' of India!

As they say, there is no Free Lunches. It is a Quid Pro Quo and there is enough interest to hand over the body bags problem to those who take it as a matter of course in a day's work.

The evidence would lie in the experience of everyone who has ever tried to occupy and pacify Afghanistan. Sure, maybe they were all just doing it wrong, and if you do it right it will be a cakewalk... but are you prepared to go in with that assumption?
    Nothing in life is a cakewalk. To assume so, is the first step to disaster.

Nobody is doing it wrong. Everybody in Afghanistan is doing it as suggested by their psyche and approach to issues.

None should even attempt to 'occupy' or 'pacify'. That would be imposing one's own interpretation to solving an issue. It is where those who have the 'missionary's zeal' of bringing 'civilisation to the savages' go wrong. It is better to do it the British way - let the savages be savages, so long it works in our favour! Never forget, a handful of British ruled a whole Empire of 'savages'!!

It is my experience that one should give the broad outline and the tools (that they desire and not what one think they should have) and let the people involved solve it their way. My experience shows that if one allows those involved in a task the liberty to do it their way, most of the times they will pleasantly surprise you with their solutions.

A blunt and realistic assessment of the challenge is also critical to success. It is easy for will to evaporate when a task proves harder than expected. Better to assume the worst... political will never becomes a problem when a task proves easier than expected.
    Indeed a blunt and realistic assessment is the answer. And, believe it or not, one prepares for the worst case scenario.

No task in an insurgency will ever be easy. A war is easier to conclude, but not an insurgency. Insurgency follows no rules or mode of tactics. It is mostly personality driven.

The first casualty to any success in an insurgency is the political will.

If there was not the issue of a second election for the US President, maybe things would have been different. Notwithstanding, the US has so far held its own; inspite of domestic compulsions and a fluid insurgency that is operating from safe havens which for good reasons cannot be addressed in the classical manner.

That is why you shouldn't fight insurgencies unless you have to. Do you have to? Why repeat the US mistake and enter a war of choice against a notoriously intractable insurgency?
    No country goes willingly to fight an insurgency. They do so to protect their national interests.

India obviously has interests or else they would not be squandering money for reconstruction work in Afghanistan. Indian interest in Afghanistan is known and maybe I have mentioned it too.

Council Member

Iraq, as I said, involved a whole different set of reasons and decisions, one with no direct relevance to this thread... and if anything this discussion needs more focus, not less.
    Of course, Iraq has relevance to the thread.

By stating that nd if anything this discussion needs more focus, not less won't wish away the issue.

It was said that the Oriental people do not understand the psyche of the Americans and hence do not understand that Revenge is a reason to go to war. I concede that.

If Revenge was the raison d'etre for going into Afghanistan, then the rational to leave it simmering and take on Iraq is indeed confounding.

Let us even concede that Revenge was the reason to go into Iraq, but militarily, one does not spilt the Selection and Maintenance of Aim or squander on the Principle of Concentration of Force or fail to adhere to the principle of Economy of Effort. I daresay that the US Army is one of the finest led Armies of the World. Much of the contemporary military thinking is from US Doctrines!! Therefore, would it be too much to believe that the US Army knows what they do? While the political head honchos have their own compulsions that are not so easily understood?

The thread is on Afghanistan and the ending of the insurgency and bringing stability to Afghanistan.

Therefore, it is very much relevant to wonder if it was the aim to take Revenge and in the process smash the AQ and bring stability to Afghanistan, then what prompted in the wavering of the Aim and moving the bulk from the US to Iraq?

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Revenge is a reason to go to war. It's not the only reason. Different wars, different reasons.

Dayuhan:

If the Indians, or maybe when the Indians, take over in Afghanistan, they are likely to have a very great advantage over us. They will recognize from the beginning who their primary enemy is, the Pak Army/ISI. They won't feed the cat that is clawing at their leg.

I never understand this contention. Lots of people have beaten up an occupied Afghanistan. The famously truculent Nuristanis were forcebly (sic) converted to Islam. The Brits never really wanted the place as more than a buffer that they could manipulate and they mostly achieved that. The Russkis got kicked out by American and Saudi money. The Afghans never could have done it on their own. Where does this idea that the Afghans are ten feet tall come from.
    Last edited by carl; 05-24-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene