Thread: Randall Knives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Randall Knives

I was wondering if anyone in the field is using Randall knives. I have a few in my collection. Mainly, I've admired this knife maker since I was a kid and couldn't afford them until I grew up. The waiting list is something like six years from the maker.

Randall Made Knives
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Default Randall knives

I don't know about today. Years ago, in 1967 I had purchased one, over the counter, at the Randall factory in Orlando which I was able to "sneak" with me to Viet Nam. I had it engraved with my name and service number in Da Nang. Later on, in the field, it was taken from me by a pogue "lifer" - (unauthorized weapon) and I never got it back. I was a lowly Pfc at the time.

Later in 1968 in an isolated unit with no officers or lifers around I had my sister ship another one to me. I kept it and used it throughout my tour and left it with a buddy who still had a lot of time to do.

I don't recall the price back then, but it was "high", maybe $35 - $40 which was at lot at the time.

Council Member

I bought my Randall Model 1 right after I enlisted. Over more than 20 years it has been a workhorse in every type of field environment. I've shaved wood, cut through metal and pryed open crates with it. It still holds a good edge and is just as beautiful as when I bought it.

I'm also a big fan of Ek Knives. If you get one, get it without the crossguard.
    ....The grips on his more-popular knives had eight scallops -- four on each of two grips. The gripping power was so good that John Ek found that a crossguard was not necessary to prevent the hand from slipping. When questioned about this by the War Production Board, Ek greased his hand and plunged one of his knives into the wooden floor with such force that no one was able to pull it out. This dramatically demonstrated that the crossguard was not necessary to keep the hand from sliding onto the blade...
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 06-19-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Council Member

Default -and Then There's These Kind of Knives

http://www.knifeart.com/stagkresfig.html

At $4,800.00 I wouldn't dare take it out of its show case, let alone use it.

Default randall knives

well, i have taken a randall with me on several trips, loved it ended up selling it, (dumb move) but i have found that this guy is pretty darn good at finding them for very good prices, he is pretty knowledgable about blades in general and even if he is my lil brother a pretty good guy, for someone who likes running into burning buildings.
    check him out and send him a wish list if you want, there is a forum over there as well that is blade/weapons/gear focused.
    www.cooperknives.com i is the same wierdbeard over there as well, for those of you have been to Africa anybody actually have some knowledge on using fighting sticks? I never really found any time to study while i was over there.

-wierdbeard
    ODI PROFANUM VULGUS ET ARCEO

I haven't found any 501(c)(3) organizations that is taking donations to purchase these types of practical knives and get them into the right hands that would otherwise be stuck with a K-bar and so forth. It would be a lot of work but really cool to set up some sort of lottery based on random selection of applicants to give these knives to. Or better yet, base the selection on the applicants themselves; i.e. Infantry Badge, Airborne, Special Ops, SOF, and so forth. I'm sure that not everyone in uniform that wants one can get one for various reasons. It might not even be something that can be done. Anyway, it is just an idea.
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"