Thread: 2007 National Security Strategy Essay Contest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Additional info, for those interested:

The contest winner will be published in Joint Forces Quarterly, a publication of the National Defense Universtiy; submissions must follow their guidelines.

Format - General guidelines
    * Type the manuscript in 12 point Times New Roman font.
    * Keep formatting to a minimum; do not try to make the manuscript appear as it will when printed.
    * Do not embed graphics, charts, or tables in the text; include them in separate files.

Documentation
    * Use endnotes rather than footnotes or in-text citations. The Chicago
    Manual citation style is preferred.

Default 2007 National Security Strategy Essay Contest?

Does anyone know what happened to the 2007 National Security Strategy Essay Contest? This was open to the general public and invited essays on the question of how to deter religiously motivated terrorism. The closing date was September 1, 2007.

I called the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point in mid-September to find out when they expected to announce the entry selected for publication and I was told that they would do so by the end of the month. There was no announcement. I called again two weeks ago and was told that the results would be announced a week later. Still no announcement.

The page link given by Jedburgh has been taken down. But I can't find an announcement anywhere else on the website (http://www.ctc.usma.edu/).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidPB4 View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the 2007 National Security Strategy Essay Contest? This was open to the general public and invited essays on the question of how to deter religiously motivated terrorism. The closing date was September 1, 2007.

I called the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point in mid-September to find out when they expected to announce the entry selected for publication and I was told that they would do so by the end of the month. There was no announcement. I called again two weeks ago and was told that the results would be announced a week later. Still no announcement.

The page link given by Jedburgh has been taken down. But I can't find an announcement anywhere else on the website (http://www.ctc.usma.edu/).
    It seems as if we are in the same boat. I too am having difficulties in getting helpful information on the status of this essay contest.
    Last edited by Intelva; 11-24-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Council Member

CTC National Security Essay Results, 29 Nov 07
    The Combating Terrorism Center is proud to announce that LTC James Kelly Morningstar is the winner of our inaugural National Security essay contest. LTC Morningstar is an Assistant Professor of Military Science at Georgetown University, where he manages ROTC cadets. LTC Morningstar’s essay explored both the theoretical and practical difficulties of deterring WMD use by al‐Qa’ida. His assertion that building social resistance and disdain for WMD use in Muslim communities is a thoughtful, creative approach to an extraordinarily difficult problem.

LTC Morningstar’s essay may be published and thus is not being released at this time. We anticipate releasing his essay no later than January.