Thread: Is Europe Waking Up?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have no organization. I make my money from writing. I have studied the Jihad and Jihadist tradition since I was in lower manhattan on 9/11. I started off with opinions quite similar to "these lunatics have hijacked an obviously peaceful religion". However, when I began to read the Koran and studied the history of Jihad, I realized that the Jihad is a central part of the teachings of the Koran and the example of The Prophet, has become accepted legal doctrine for hundreds of years, and is still being taught in madrassas through out the world. For example, this is an essay on Saudi Grand Mufti on the history and implications of the Jihad. He writes regarding Jihad

As it is now obvious, at first "the fighting" was forbidden, then it was permitted and after that it was made obligatory- ( I ) against them who start "the fighting" against you (Muslims)... (2) and against all those who worship others along with Allah...

It is not as if I am taking quotations out of context. The history of Jihad is right there. It's not a figment of a feverish imagination.

These reasons are why it's been so hard for "moderate Muslims" to fight the Jihadists -- as their arguments are extremely strong in terms of Islamic tradition and law.

Now does that mean all Muslims are the enemy? No. Does it mean that Islam is evil? No. But it does help us answer some crucial questions: What is the enemy? Is the West facing a Jihad? Is Islam, as Bernard Lewis claims, again trying to "take Europe"? How long a struggle are we facing? We certainly are not waging a "war on terror" -- we ar waging a war against Jihadists, which is a violent project emerging from a political project which emerges straight from Islamic tradition and teaching itself.
    Last edited by AdmiralAdama; 06-23-2007 at 03:57 AM.

Yes, got it. Jihad is organic to the religion, and is a key element being used against us. Roger that. That cat is flat. And there's the whole debate as to whether it is jihad, irhab, or hirabah, the potential impacts of which are well articulated here.

BTW, sorry if my analogy seemed like I was prying into your personal finances -- the concept there wasn't to do that, but akin to "what is the engine that drives you?"

Very interesting to me that 9/11 drove your intellectual curiosity, hell of a day I'm sure. Clearly you've done some reading, cited a good chunk of it here, useful to some I'm sure and they can follow up through those links. But I presume your stuides swayed your mind, and it is no longer "these lunatics have hijacked an obviously peaceful religion." So what is it now? Just that the religion isn't inherently as peaceful as you used to think? Or something more? And now what? What's the next step of the analysis and how should it inform our actions?

We've got several other Islam scholars who take exception to each other, your position, and the price of tea in China. No problemo, every one has their right to their own spin. (Good thing all the Christians agree on everything ).

More busy folks might take interest in a filtered set of refs if there was a more clear and useful reason behind it -- somewhere betweem intellectual curiosity which we've all got, and [help Israel] kill 'em all, the violent bastards. What's your take on the so what?