Thread: New Paradigms for 21st Century Conflict

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique R. Poirier View Post
    Mr. Moore,
    I find your comment is interesting, indeed; and I fully agree with you. I do not have much more to add, at that point.
    I just began to read Marc Sageman’s book yesterday; Understanding Terror Networks. Though I am not finished with it, I find this book very interesting in the sense that it is written by a serious and trustworthy person who approach things in a cold scientific manner.

Since I do not bring much contribution to your pertinent comment I remedy to this gap in reporting about a peculiar story, a priori unrelated to al-Qaeda in particular and to Muslim terrorism in general, which I believe is thought provoking. Doubtless, you will not express any difficulty in finding its interest.

On Monday June 22, 2007, in Britany, France, two young men and a young woman, respectively aged 20, 20 and 21, have been arrested by the French police on charge of burning the chapel de Loqueffret, built during the XVIth century. They were part of a larger group of seven members suspected of having perpetrated multiple other acts of vandalism against invaluable century old Christian religious symbols and monuments in the same region. While under interrogation the three young said that they acted entirely by their own and that what they did was a form of protest against “a monopolistic religious dominance” that unjustly overthrew pagan religions in Europe, centuries ago (!). They claim to be themselves adept and practitioners of paganism and they expect a revival of paganism in Europe.

Here is the link, if ever you read French language:
    http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/france/faits...fanation-.html

The three criminals do not belong to any religious organization of any sort, and they never received any instruction or exterior assistance.
    This case doesn’t differ much from Islamist violence and intolerance, in my own opinion, but what because what they did was unrelated to Islam the news of their arrest collected little interest.
    I find this story interesting in the sense that it exemplifies that acts of violence and destruction done on behalf of religious claims can spontaneously occur in the most unexpected manner and for the most unexpected reasons. What else these three young men would have done if ever they had been smarter and more cautious? Other Church burnings, doubtless. Killings? Probably not, however. For they were unlikely to find exterior support, indoctrination and training on behalf of a Pagan religion in France.

However one may be tempted to hazard the guess that things would have been likely to turn otherwise if, instead of Paganism, they have expressed interest toward Islam. In all cases, we cannot but hold that they unmistakably belong to a category of persons we use to call religious terrorists; event though they didn’t kill or hurt someone. They did burn down one chapel, destroyed with sheer savagery numerous Christian monuments and painted some slogans and religious symbols of their own on many others; all marks of religious violence.

This case is no exception or singularity. It is the latest of a long list of exactly similar others perpetrated elsewhere in France during the last decade. But, according to the media, all attempts to find any link or relationship of any sort between their perpetrators proved to be fruitless. For, there is none, and there is no underground and organized pagan movement but some chitchats and mutual emulation on Internet. That’s all, and that’s why Church and chapel burning and other forms of religious violence of this sort limit to isolated and sporadic cases unconnected each with others.

Is the mind of those perpetrators similar to this of a Muslim fanatic?
    Hey--I have something in French for you!

Council Member Dominique R. Poirier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Hey--I have something in French for you!
    Mr. Metz,
    That’s the IFRI, with which Mr. Olivier Roy works, it seems to me.

In a past that begins to get remote I have had the opportunity to meet some Frenchs and other folks dealing with counterterrorism. I have even been member of a French Senate sponsored group studying terrorism. As far as I can remember I didn’t see any American during our meetings.
    Well, it’s past and I put a definitive end to all relationships with those people for personal reasons, since long alrdeay.

What do you think about these statements of Olivier Roy?

“(….) the Western Muslim world. I don't buy this term "the West." In France we have many people demonstrating against American influence. Where is the West?”

“One year ago, when Mr. de Villepin was Minister of the Interior, he asked for a working breakfast with some experts like me, and he asked us to give him tips on how to curb Islamic unrest in the housing projects. I said, "One thing we can do is to reroute the Marxist extreme Left to the projects." The head of the police was next to the minister. He was not amused. But it's exactly what Villepin is doing now. He took my idea. He is now giving a new start to the extreme Left and, in a sense, many of the young who are trying to do something might not join al Qaeda but find a better perspective. These guys would have gone anywhere to do something.”

I found them in an interview of Olivier Roy done by Joanne J. Myers on March 30, 2006 at the Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs.

Here is the link directing to the full text, just in case:
    http://www.cceia.org/resources/transcripts/5334.html

Well, I acknowledge there is an obvious need to collaborate on counterterrorism; for wants of a wider collaboration. But since France is no longer assimilated to the West…
    Last edited by Dominique R. Poirier; 06-30-2007 at 10:53 PM.