Thread: Understanding Current Operations in Iraq

Default Understanding Current Operations in Iraq

Dave Kilcullen's latest at the SWJ Blog - Understanding Current Operations in Iraq.

I’ve spent much of the last six weeks out on the ground, working with Iraqi and U.S. combat units, civilian reconstruction teams, Iraqi administrators and tribal and community leaders. I’ve been away from e-mail a lot, so unable to post here at SWJ: but I’d like to make up for that now by providing colleagues with a basic understanding of what’s happening, right now, in Iraq.

This post is not about whether current ops are “working” — for us, here on the ground, time will tell, though some observers elsewhere seem to have already made up their minds (on the basis of what evidence, I’m not really sure). But for professional counterinsurgency operators such as our SWJ community, the thing to understand at this point is the intention and concept behind current ops in Iraq: if you grasp this, you can tell for yourself how the operations are going, without relying on armchair pundits of whatever political ilk. So in the interests of self-education (and cutting out the commentariat middlemen—sorry, guys) here is a field perspective on current operations...

Council Member

Default Every member of Congress should read this!

A link to or copy of this Kilcullen bolg should be sent to every member of Congress, starting with Sen. Lugar!

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    A link to or copy of this Kilcullen bolg should be sent to every member of Congress, starting with Sen. Lugar!

John, John, John--you're working on the assumption that our elected leaders want the truth, would recognize it if they saw it, and would act on it if they recognized it.
    Last edited by SteveMetz; 06-26-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Default Cross-reference...

See also this more spirited discussion over here, driven from William Kristol's comments on this entry.