Thread: The John Boyd collection (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I'll add this: I like to read Lind's essays; I don't always believe them but I like to read them.

I don't think a lot about whether or not 4GW, MW, or the OODA loop are valid from a military perspective. I like to consider Lind's take on things because of his belief that the nation state is loosing the monopoly on war.

When your enemy is a network, mafia, cartel, tribe, or clan instead of a state sponsored army it has serious law enforcement implications. When is something an act of war and when is something a crime? When is a war really a feud and vice versa?

John Giduck writes in Terror at Beslan that in the coming years military and police forces will move toward each other; in that, the military will seem a little more like the police and the police will seem a little more like the military.

Yeah, I know, this isn't new either: the Roman Army had constabulary forces and some American frontier era police forces, the Texas Rangers come to mind, were a paramilitary police force of sorts. So strictly speaking it may not be new but it is new to the mind of the average 21st Century American.

And that's why I like to read Lind going on and on about the probability of fighting mostly non-nation state enemies in the coming years.
    Last edited by Rifleman; 12-22-2007 at 11:59 PM.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper