Thread: "War on Film"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbridge View Post
    @ At the most senior levels of military operations, commanders DO influence their political leadership.

@ It’s very difficult to talk about IO intelligently when those discussing it refuse to adhere to a common lexicon. .

@ IO is very difficult to execute because there are more variables in the information environment that there are on the battlefield and because there are so many amateurs employed as IO planners.
    @ ...and in current operations, more junior commanders with access to media possess the same ability. It's how they are directed to use influence that is critical.

@ Which is pretty much what I have been saying since I started posting here, especially as a lot of definitions and terms used are misleading, inaccurate and nonsensical.

@ So the accepted norm for the critical activity is to entrust it to the least skilled? I'm not going to argue with this. Most of what I read about IO is amateurish and my first hand encounters with those who claim expertise in it, in relation to broadcast news, confirms your hypothesis.
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 03-22-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: depression
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition