Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
bourbon, great article, much thanks for posting. The impact of this technology and associated open system processes on legacy industries is already having a significant impact, and probably will fall in the category of one the technologies that enabled creative destruction to the existing order over time.

From a defense perspective we of course need to view it from at least two perspectives. First how can we leverage this technology, and second how can our foes leverage it and what does that mean to us?
Interesting times we live in. I will have to put down some the broader thoughts I’ve developed in reading about these tech breakthroughs, into the Futurists & Theorists folder or elsewhere in the Participants & Stakeholders section.

With regard to the second perspective, for the short-term future the application of these new technologies in the manufacture of weapons and explosive devices by insurgent and/or terrorist groups should be looked into. Hopefully it is something an organization like JIEDDO already has an eye on.

I have a general understanding that there is a range of performance in explosively formed penetrators, with regard to the level of precision used in their manufacture; however I do not know the true extent or implications. For the purpose of generating an example of the types of questions to be explored by experts, let’s say that these differences are significant: what then are the implications of when the high level of precision necessary for manufacture of a top-of-the-range EFP becomes exponentially cheaper and easier to produce?

I can’t claim any technical background or expertise; but I have an intuition that some people who do, should look into such issues.