Thread: "How a Revolution Saved an Empire" (NYT, 5 July)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default "How a Revolution Saved an Empire" (NYT, 5 July)

"How a Revolution Saved an Empire," by British General Michael Rose (free reg. required for link):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/05/opinion/05rose.html

Unfortunately for Britain, he [George III] attempted to fight a conventional war against insurgents, and sent far too few troops across the Atlantic to accomplish the mission. Although they initially took New York and Philadelphia, the British subsequently failed to adjust to a counterinsurgency strategy against the “war of the posts” that George Washington adopted after his defeat at Germantown, Pa., in October 1777.

Instead of trying to isolate the rebels and gain the support of the loyalist and uncommitted colonials, the British spent much of their time defending their bases and maintaining their supply lines, only occasionally venturing out on punitive expeditions. They never succeeded in cutting off the heartland of rebel resistance in New England by taking control of the Hudson River Valley. Nor was the British Army — the finest in the world — ever able to establish sufficient security in the countryside or counter rebel propaganda. It soon came to be regarded as foreign occupation force.

Finally, the British were never able to prevent a steady flow of arms, ammunition, instructors and fighters from entering the colonies from abroad. Thus Washington, whose Continental Army was down to a few thousand fit soldiers, managed to survive the harsh winter of 1777-78 at Valley Forge and rebuild his military strength. When the British switched their main effort to the Southern colonies, Nathanael Greene, probably the most successful insurgent leader in military history until Mao Zedong, was able to wear down Cornwallis’s army in the Carolinas to a point where Washington, now reinforced by the French, was able to beat the British in a conventional battle at Yorktown.
    Bob

"Amid all the terrors of battle I was so busily engaged in Harvard Library that I never even heard of ... [it] until it was completed." —A student a few miles up the road from Bunker Hill, 17 June 1775

Quote Originally Posted by RJO View Post
    "How a Revolution Saved an Empire," by British General Michael Rose (free reg. required for link):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/05/opinion/05rose.html

Bob
    So is this a sideways critique of Iraq?

(By the way, someone needs to tell the general that we didn't do "propaganda," we did "strategic communications.")

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    So is this a sideways critique of Iraq?

(By the way, someone needs to tell the general that we didn't do "propaganda," we did "strategic communications.")
    Like beauty, "propaganda" is perhaps in the eye of the beholder. The usual designation I see attached to Thomas Paine is "pamphleteer." I wonder if Ayman Al Zawahiri (the Egyptian optometrist and #2 to Bin laden, I'm sure I butchered the spelling of his name) considers himself now the Thomas Paine of Al Qaeda? Or perhaps Leon Trotsky? I heard that his latest video communique is quite lengthy.
    No signature required, my handshake is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Like beauty, "propaganda" is perhaps in the eye of the beholder. The usual designation I see attached to Thomas Paine is "pamphleteer." I wonder if Ayman Al Zawahiri (the Egyptian optometrist and #2 to Bin laden, I'm sure I butchered the spelling of his name) considers himself now the Thomas Paine of Al Qaeda? Or perhaps Leon Trotsky? I heard that his latest video communique is quite lengthy.
    I've never seen Zawahiri referred to as an optometrist before. I thought he supposedly was a surgeon.

Well, according to Wikipedia, he has a degree in surgery. You're right. I was aware he was a medical man, not sure where I got the idea that his specialty was optical. Probably from some terror expert on television.

Maybe I'm confusing the good doctor with some other terrorist-physician. It seems to be the rage these days. They are giving the term "doctors without borders" a new meaning, altogether. I'm curious if these doctors from Muslim countries have anything like the Hippocratic Oath.
    No signature required, my handshake is good enough.

Council Member

If people would care about historical parallels, they would have laughed when someone proposed to invade Afghanistan and stay there till some (whatever) job was done...